GEN 1 4X4 LO advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey

Reaction score
2012 Supercrew with 98000 --- have never had any real issues before -- but when I try to go into 4LO --- in neutral and foot on brake ---- I get several loud "clunking" sounds -- message to "move forward" -- than nothing, most of the time vehicle goes back into 4x2.

4x4 HI works, and verified "engages".

Changed the transfer shift motor and no change, same symptoms.

Any advice appreciated.

wakko0o

Reaction score
Try shifting into low while moving slowly 1-3mph if that don’t work check fuse box under hood for blown fuses(there shouldn’t be because your 4x4HI still works) then if that checks out try plugging a scanner tool, if you don’t have one have autozone check it for you. Explain to them your having trouble with your 4x4 and there’s no check engine light on. If that don’t work replace your IWE solenoid (don’t think this is your problem either because your hearing clunking noises meaning you have vacuum to engage 4x4) good luck hope this helps. Keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea but curious, it drops back to 2HI? So it's making the shift into 2 from 4 (and back), but not HI to LO...parts book doesn't break it down at all that I see, but there's a "Control Module" listed. There's not a separate solenoid for HI/LO, just 2/4?

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

Reaction score
Used 4HI this morning no problem, tried to SLOWLY roll into 4LO -- nothing -- now I'm getting the "check 4x4" message.

But yes -- if I leave it in 4LO and it does it "clink and clunks" ---- it will go directly back into 2x4 mode -- even with the knob in 4x4LO. But switch to 4HI and it works great.

xtela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is cut from the service manual :

B33 SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE TO 4L MANUALLY
  • Rotate the shift cam by hand to the 4L position.
  • Rotate the rear driveshaft and watch the front driveshaft.
  • Does the transfer case shift to 4L and the front driveshaft rotates?
Yes
INSTALL a new transfer case shift motor. REFER to Transfer Case Shift Motor in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
REPAIR the transfer case. REFER to Section 308-07B .

You may want to try this. It will tell you if the problem is in the t case internals or the shift motor, controls or sensors. Also check for codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free