4wd no-no’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Was reading another users post about their axle breaking and subsequent posts from others saying “such and such is a no-no in 4hi” or high tread situation can cause “blah”

I’ve owned AWD vehicles and 2wd but this is my first 4wd where I have to actually think about what mode I want to be in. After seeing there’s things you shouldn’t do, like turning the wheels all the way in one direction (?), I really want to know what I should and shouldn’t be doing in each of those 4wd modes. At the very least, can someone post some of the things we absolutely should never do in 4wd?

JamesTabletop

Reaction score
Same questions here. Still waiting on my truck to be delivered, and only ever had RWD, AWD, and FWD up to this point.

Reaction score
Hi all
Was reading another users post about their axle breaking and subsequent posts from others saying “such and such is a no-no in 4hi” or high tread situation can cause “blah”

I’ve owned AWD vehicles and 2wd but this is my first 4wd where I have to actually think about what mode I want to be in. After seeing there’s things you shouldn’t do, like turning the wheels all the way in one direction (?), I really want to know what I should and shouldn’t be doing in each of those 4wd modes. At the very least, can someone post some of the things we absolutely should never do in 4wd?

I don’t know if this helps your situation at all but I just dropped off my 2023 37 Package at the dealership to get it fixed after owning it for about a month and a half. In Dallas we just had an ice storm so I decided to put my raptor in “snow mode” and the truck decided it didn’t want to. The infamous “check 4x4” light and “service vehicle soon” message came on. They told me it was a mechanical-electrical problem involving the hub and that it would probably take 2-3 weeks to get it fixed.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just turn the dial for whatever driving condition you’re in…let the truck do the rest. Stick this on the windshield or put it where you can see it. Don’t do the opposite of what it says and you’ll be fine.

Attachments

• E8AE2BAE-92B4-43AA-AF0D-CAFF4CB1D0B6.png
    E8AE2BAE-92B4-43AA-AF0D-CAFF4CB1D0B6.png
    927.6 KB · Views: 269

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I really want to know what I should and shouldn’t be doing in each of those 4wd modes. At the very least, can someone post some of the things we absolutely should never do in 4wd?

4wd means you go a few hundred yards farther than the 2wd truck with good tires before you get stuck.

Any time you’re off road and doing stuff that peasant cars can’t do, the risk of parts breakage is there. A lot of breakages are understandable in context, but often times, not so much to the driver.

So, you’ve lost traction and are losing forward momentum, you floor it, suddenly your front right tire hits high traction and -- SNAP.
This can happen to any off road vehicle.

be mindful of traction capability, if you’re in doubt, get out an walk the path first.

Tire pressure matters. if you decide to hit the beach - air down. It does make a difference. What pressure you need depends on the terrain. Can you off road at 38psi? Yes. It won’t be as comfortable, or as compliant but you can.

Donuts. 2wd. Can you do it in 4wd? Yes. but if you suddenly catch traction with the front, things can go really bad, quickly.

pull people out going forward if you are at all able to. Reverse is not the preferred way to get someone out.

Water crossings are an unknown. if you don’t know how deep it is, probably best not to drive your 80k dollar truck into it.

If you haven’t been to Raptor Assault, go.

Off road with locals or local Raptor owners. Don’t be ashamed of being a n00b and asking n00b questions. All of us have been n00bs and asked those questions.

I find my most used modes are Normal & Sport for street, M&S for off road.
I’ve tested the other modes - rock and Baja but I keep coming back to mud and sand. Not quite as high strung as baja, good throttle response etc.

JURASIK18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Raptor Assault is a great way to get to know your Raptor and its "Free" ...sort of.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Water crossings are an unknown. if you don’t know how deep it is, probably best not to drive your 80k dollar truck into it.
Says who…

JURASIK18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned the hard way not to full lock the wheel when doing donuts and chewed up my LCA stops.
Also Donuts on /snow ice in Auto is no no Hubs/IWE replaced. Oopsy