4WD mode pulling hard to right on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 4 WD and coasting, the Raptor drives straight. When I accelerate, it pulls pretty hard to the right. In 2WD, it's fine. Road is flat and tires are inflated to spec. Any thoughts on why? Or is this a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I haven't seen it in my truck before. I know if one side or the other has better traction, it will naturally pull in that direction.

One thing it might be, just guessing here, is that only one side is engaging. That would cause a hard pull when off road.....

Good luck!!!

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it always pulls the right regardless of road conditions, then i'd guess there's some sort of issue. Most lilkely though you've got unequal traction causing the right side to grab, pulling you that way.

J. Wolfe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With my old truck with manual locking front hubs and open differential, if both hubs aren't locked, the diff just spins the axle that doesn't have the hub locked, so neither wheel pulls. With the Thorsen diff. in the raptor, if one iwe isn't functioning would that maybe cause the other one to take all power and make it pull that direction??? That's what I would double check, iwe function.

Gilligan

Reaction score
With my old truck with manual locking front hubs and open differential, if both hubs aren't locked, the diff just spins the axle that doesn't have the hub locked, so neither wheel pulls. With the Thorsen diff. in the raptor, if one iwe isn't functioning would that maybe cause the other one to take all power and make it pull that direction??? That's what I would double check, iwe function.

That makes sense to me..

I had/have this issue but just kind of ignored it, I recently had my driver side front IWE replaced though.. I'll have to get on it in 4wd and report back if I notice any changes.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have one of the newer Raptors with the Diff Lock then I would definitely look at the IWE's and verify they are actually working. Most times you hear it grinding when its not functioning properly but if its stuck open then you would not hear anything

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the frond end check for a loose connection.
It almost sounds like one of the lower control arm adjusters is loose.

OP
OP
B

Bar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, thanks. Definitely not a traction thing, as I tried it on pavement with no snow or ice. It pulls hard at 35mph when I gas it hard or lightly. I'll bring it in and report back.

Also, no grinding. This is my 2014. The 2011 was a big grinder even when turning on sand/ice/snow. Dealership replaced everything in that truck to get it to stop.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guys, thanks. Definitely not a traction thing, as I tried it on pavement with no snow or ice. It pulls hard at 35mph when I gas it hard or lightly. I'll bring it in and report back...

Wise next step, Bar; I'll hang around here to see when you have any news. How many miles are on your Raptor?

Crystal