40s Tires Breakdown. Which is the best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what is your idea of "on-road" time? Are you hoping to drive the truck 1000 miles a month on-road?

I ask because I'd run KR3s or Toyo race tires. If you are going into deep sand, get some paddles.

The "street tire" options in 40" really suck.

I got about a year and a half out of my first set of KR3s. In miles that translated to 5000ish hard offroad miles and about 3000 mixed on-road miles. When I took them off, I'd say that they had 30% left on them. No leaks, some cupping, never even really rotated them, never had a flat or issue.

As long as you don't plan on driving around in ambient temps below 45 degrees, I think you'd like them. I have no idea how many miles you'd get out of them. They aren't cheap.

They just released the 3.0 compound that is supposed to cup/chunk less than the version I have.
This truck will be a toy, grocery getter, weekend cruise truck, I work from home so have no daily commute. The only concern I have about the kr3 is that I’ve heard negative performance in the rain. Being in Florida it rains a lot... so that would be my only concern.
I do want to run the kr3, love the lettering lol but don’t want to use the roll cage cause I slide into a light post doing donuts in the publix parking lot haha

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I’m confused is that a kr3? An all terrain kr3?

KR3 = BFG non-DOT Race Tire for high-speed off-road racing. the KOH/Ultra4 crowd tend to run the soft version. Desert folks tend to run the standard. There is a dakar version and there is a new "other" 3.0 version of the tire.

Very Different from a KM3 or a KR2.

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
KR3 = BFG non-DOT Race Tire for high-speed off-road racing. the KOH/Ultra4 crowd tend to run the soft version. Desert folks tend to run the standard. There is a dakar version and there is a new "other" 3.0 version of the tire.

Very Different from a KM3 or a KR2.

yeah im tracking its just that picture says "all-terrain Kr3" which to my knowledge they dont make. looks to me like someone got sticker happy...

Armando D

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same question a little over a month ago and I wasn’t crazy about the wear I received from the original BFG KO2s after asking members of the forum and weighing out the amount of towing load and highway miles I put on my 2018 Gen 2 I decided to replace them with the BFG KO2s again. Replaced at 34k Miles but they are rated for 50k mikes. I will do a better job of aligning the tires in the future. I hope this helps. In the end it was the load rating that swayed me the most. Good luck!

OP
OP
PorterW1111

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you can order red white and blue "tire stickers" for whatever tire you run.

This is the KR3 on my truck.

CmrQ84S.jpg
any experience with the kr3 on wet assphalt? i will likely run into rainy wet roads often and have family in the truck. Basically will they turn into skid on ice, or just not so performant?