40k Mile Regular Maintenance Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cabin filter.
Spark plugs at 50k - easy job on this one.
Replace coolant at 50k.
Rotate tires every other oil change.

OP
OP
Theswits

Theswits

Reaction score
Also replacing the battery. There doesn't need to be any scanning or resets for a new battery, correct?
Thanks for the tips on tranny, dif and tc fluids

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been watching quite a few videos on it and it seems like even more of a beast with a tune. Also stumbled upon this little gem while browsing YouTube:

The Gen2 Ecoboost and 10spd is something else....I'm hooked and need one now :dogpile:

Hi Everyone,
I have a plain jane 2017 801A scab with 60,000 km (40,000 miles). It has had no work done on it except for factory notices (moonroof sticking, doors freezing, transmission reprogramming) and my regular oil+filter changes with Mobil 1. Oh, I also put in a K&N air filter (also serviced periodically) and a water separator in the PCV breather line.

I have rotated the tires twice, but I do a bit of bushwacking so the KO2s are down to about 1/8" (little bit of uneven wear on one tire - passenger side front inside).

So my questions to all out here: what should I do for my 5 year maintenance overhaul and before mounting my new KO2's (FYI: 4 purchased from blackcircles.ca for CDN$1586, tax and shipping included to my front door).

Any and all tips appreciated, Cheers bros

I think most boosted engines this is the case- I swapped mine out on my 2018 for the colder “performance” plugs & immediately noticed a smoother idle & slightly better mpg

So, the manual will say that spark plugs will go a long time… they don’t, as many here will attest to the importance of spark plug gap. Maintaining that is very important!! So… change plugs pretty often and be cognizant of the gap as that is key!!

Next… since you have an older truck, make sure you keep an eye (and ear) to the cam phasers. If you have a failure now, you are out of the recall grace period and it becomes VERY pricey.

Keep an eye on your oil level… many here experienced low oil levels and you would really want to avoid that.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
original owner on my 2018 with 45,000 miles. I have done nothing but change the oil and filter every 7,000 to 9,000....and rotate the tires including the spare every 7,000 ish miles.

dont over think it.

I did replace my diff cover and fluid at 30,000...but that was just for the looks.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey gang,
What's involved for resetting the BMS for a 2017?
Procedure must be carried out within 10 seconds:
  1. Switch ignition on (engine off)
  2. Pull and release high beam 5 times.
  3. Press and release brake pedal 3 times.
  4. If successful the battery light will flash 3 times within the next 15 seconds
  5. 5. BMS reset completed.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,
What's involved for resetting the BMS for a 2017?
You will need the dealer to do this “BMS test”. I think there were workarounds to do yourself and if I remember, they didn’t work. I had both my ecoboosts done at the dealer.

deblas

Reaction score
Just a follow up on the plugs for non-tuned 2019 Raptor, is the SP 578 still the recommended, as listed in the Raptor supplement manual, or something else? Also what gap?
Thanks