$40k gen 1 or 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted more examples in the "will a V8 in the Gen 3 kill Gen 1 resale values?" thread.

The loaded up 2014s are going for the same money as loaded up 2017s, even with the same 50K-ish miles on both.

Where is that thread?

Sharkman

Reaction score
Gen 1! I own a '19 Gen 2 and just purchased a '12 Gen 1 because we absolutely love these trucks!

The Gen 1 does not have the "technology" like the Gen 2, but that V8 is kick-ass!

For me, mileage is always a key and the lower the mileage the better so I would definitely go for the Gen 1 with the lower mileage.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow that looks to be in excellent shape and well optioned.

I guess the fact that 17’s seem to be plummeting and late gen 1’s are still going strong makes me feel good about owning a gen 1. However, those low asking prices are going to be hard for people to pass up.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a GEN 1 that was driven by the little old lady to church on Sundays..or in my case the deep pocket guy who used to drive to office....Have had mine little over 1 year and LOVE IT,50K on it and it looked like it just came out of the Ford Showroom,even had its first new set of $1400 tires on it,with 500 on them...
Find a nice clean one with good service records...have a PPI done on it...and go for it...They are expensive to fix,so beware of a deal thats too good to be true...if it wasnt serviced right,and beat on the trails,I'd walk...there are still plenty of good deals out there...:33:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
zombiekiller logic?! hmmm

gen 1 for below the belt
gen 2 for above the neck

yes, it is my own brand of logic. Please venmo the $4.99 licensing fee for using my trademarked brand label . :D

a well-cared-for Gen1 is the legend that spawned a huge boom in the "desert truck" vertical of the offroad industry.

The gen2 is the evolution of the legend.

But the Gen2 just doesn't have the soul that the OG does.

a well-cared-for gen1 will continue to appreciate. The gen2 will not. ( Gen2s are still on the depreciation downward slope. The gen1s have honestly already hit the bottom and have been on their way up.)

The above the neck and below the belt logic centers are honestly aligned on this one.

The gen2 might be faster, but faster does not elicit the child-like want that the gen1 did and still does.

Besides, everyone will be swapping to gen3 conversion glass before too long, so they'll all look the same sooner or later anyway.

Last edited:

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im always weary of dealerships, and this is one of the reasons. A lot of dealers seem to be dropping the prices on the Gen 2's to obviously get rid of them, but my brain always asks, "whats in it for them?" Heck, I got down the rabbit hole, and honestly ask myself, what do they know that we don't? With the introduction of the 7.3L gas truck motor, Will Ford be developing a different tune and Cam design to retrofit that into a Gen 3? Also, if that's the case, are they assuming the Gen 2 value to plummet because of that pathetic 3.5? Like a lot of the other gents have said, Id rather gave a babied Gen 1 than a beat Gen 2. Factor in the uncertainty of the next gen, and I would play it safe with the Gen 1. That trucks value is going to stay up regardless of a new Raptor with a V8.