4 Low use it or lose it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this really a thing?
I think it is. When you see firemen riding around in a fire engine when there is no emergency, they're just out exercising the machine. In the case of 4x4 vehicles, my take is that exercising the system is more about the front differential than it is about the transfer case. You stir up the fluid in the transfer case whenever you drive the vehicle, but the front differential is internally motionless unless you're in four wheel drive. And BTW, the best time to change the fluid in either differential or the transfer case is when they're warm from having been exercised.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
…and change that dang tcase fluid at a reasonable interval…. 50-65k
I change fluid more frequently than that, and I don't tow but very, very infrequently. Even with that, my transfer case failed at 85,000 miles. It cost $1,719 to replace.

Changing the fluid (Mercon LV) in the transfer case is easy - it actually has a for real drain plug!

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I change fluid more frequently than that, and I don't tow but very, very infrequently. Even with that, my transfer case failed at 85,000 miles. It cost $1,719 to replace.

Changing the fluid (Mercon LV) in the transfer case is easy - it actually has a for real drain plug!
Honestly i think all the 4A driving horsecrap is just a bad call hear me out;

Coming from The NP series in the jeep world and also a build with an Atlas , like it or not the tcases with clutch pack just arent as durable as gear driven locked diffs, next down is the chain driven locked diffs. Light duty slip centrr diffs with open axles are good when you have a lighter suv sub 300hp. Once you move up to a tuned rap @ 550 hp to the wheel doing 1/4 mile launches With tt off. Its service life diminished substantially. Add to the all the slow speed full lock
Turns people do with 4A now thats still driveline bind!…. Honestly i kind of wish it didnt have 4A because I never use it. I know how to slip out the rear end on this truck and how the weight distributes. Im a 4 hi 4 low only when needed user. Sorry you took a hit like that. That sucks. But in your case yes you can change sooner.