4 Low use it or lose it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
The T-case uses a wet clutch for 4A; it’s electronically controlled by the TCCM. It doesn’t just automatically start applying due to a slight differential in wheel speed. The TCCM modulates the clutch based on inputs such as steering angle, vehicle speed, throttle position, wheel speed, and engine torque. It won’t engage the clutch just because the wheels are turned. In fact, it actually decreases duty cycle as steering angle increases.

The TCCM monitors clutch slip and driving conditions. If driving conditions are severe enough to require 4H, it will automatically engage and display a message stating “4x4 TEMPORARILY LOCKED”.

I don’t understand why someone would not want 4A capability, it’s perfect for inclement weather allows the full capability of the truck to be used on dry surfaces.
W T F Braaaaa
All this technical talk is making me so FNING Nervous now, I’m afraid to go take some poser pics in the sand :(
Now I’m so FNING Terrified to hit the Mode Paddles that I’m just going to Starfuxcks and get my BunMan latte and a Cage Free egg Cresent sandwich

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's a transfer case? Is that when the Starbucks employee transfers you a case of coffee in the drive-thru?

At my place of employement, if an employ constantly gets moved from department to department because he/she is nothing but trouble, but not enough to justify firing...that's a transfer case.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so I figured I was good until extended warranty, thankfully. Still, this thread is a great reminder to check 4H/4L every so often.
You have an extended warranty on a 1st Gen? I made the mistake of letting the sleazeball salesman add when I bought mine last Dec. Found out later the company has a history of denying claims regardless of the situation. That was a $3600 mistake.

doodman4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have an extended warranty on a 1st Gen? I made the mistake of letting the sleazeball salesman add when I bought mine last Dec. Found out later the company has a history of denying claims regardless of the situation. That was a $3600 mistake.
Yeah, most of the warranties mentioned regularly here aren't available on a '12 with 83k miles, so I went with the dealer "preferred" one. I know it's not ideal, but I've had to use it twice since June, and it has covered what was needed (front IWEs and transmission wiring harness).

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my T-case go bad in mid 2019. Replaced under warranty, saved me something like 3200 dollars. Oddly enough I used 4Hi pretty regularly, but basically never used 4Lo and thats when I started noticed grinding. I was out at outer banks and basically noped out once i got it back into 4hi and drove back home. Since then I try to shift into a 4Lo at least every other month. I had to use it recently to pull a guy out at the soft sand boat ramp out here who just went a bit too far back with a boat that was just a bit too heavy.

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just did this again yesterday, the shift to 4Lo was as smooth as butter. I thought my T-case was ruined a few years ago because of all the grinding and poping, motor reving when goin in or out of 4Lo. Now I get none of that crap.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used 4Lo in my last truck once when it was a month old. I used it again 14 years later- and it worked fine.

That's like someone saying make sure you shift into certain gears every now and then with a manual trans.