GEN 1 4 Low to 4 High Sticks in Neutral then Grinds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too experienced similar issues this past Easter weekend, twice.

Both instances the truck shifted into 4lo a-okay but coming out it would refuse, making a horrible grinding/whirling noise (much like in the above video) even when no throttle was applied. During the first occurrence it made the aforementioned noises then violently engaged into 4hi.

The second occurrence I hopped out of the truck and tried rocking it back and forth, though wasn't really able to because of the terrain (flat, rocky). The 'Check 4x4' message displayed on the dash then shifted to 2wd a few moments later.

Still covered under the CPO warranty so I'll let the Ford dealer take the flyer on this one. Will report back with what I hear on Thursday.

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I had more of an update to give but the long and short of it is:

-Tech confirmed trouble with transfer case, struggled to get it out of 4lo themself

-Scheduled to return next Thursday. Going to remove the transfer case and disassemble to inspect internals.

I'll circle back around as the saga unfolds. :cheers:

ICLOSEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping it was just the vacuum lines! Did they check the vacuum lines?

Hasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my truck. Service advisor said the issue is a faulty circlip. Rebuilt the whole transfer case, new design on circlip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping it was just the vacuum lines! Did they check the vacuum lines?

Looks like the long and short of it is the transfer case grenaded (per the attached tech comments).

Rebuilt the transfer case, though was covered under the CPO warranty. Total time to fix was 8 days, the length of time being attributed to receipt of parts.

Hope this helps future folks somewhat.

Attachments

• 20180420_171426.jpg
    20180420_171426.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 41

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
none of this info is helpful.

just FYI they cant find the issue either if the answer is to rebuild or replace the whole damn thing.
i still think people are not using 4wd properly, but maybe im just a stickler.

RaptArAz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thrust washer damaged the planetary gear (if the tech's notes are truthful/accurate) after disassembling the transfer case and inspecting.

Maybe I I've just been forgetting to get out and lock the hubs! :rofl:

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
none of this info is helpful.

just FYI they cant find the issue either if the answer is to rebuild or replace the whole damn thing.
i still think people are not using 4wd properly, but maybe im just a stickler.

In my case, I know at least three mechanics checked my truck out (myself, the Carmax tech, and a Ford tech), so I don’t think using 4WD improperly is the issue. It’s theroetically possible the previous owner screwed it up, but I don’t think so since 1) the truck was still under factory warranty and would have been fixed for free and 2) these trucks have so many safeguards that it would be hard screw up going in/out of low side due to driver error.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yea if you guys are all shifting into drive while you have your tcase in neutral trying to shift into 4lo you are doing it wrong.

ALL THREE OF YOU. what do you thinks gunna happen when you give power to the system that is asking for neutrality?????