4" Exaust etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darinz

Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm having a battle with my exhaust like a lot but being on the other side of the planet buying parts becomes problematic. I've just put a Corsa muffler on and lets just say it's sounds like a tincan full of stones as soon as you hit 2500 rpm so I'm extremely disappointed with it!!!! The down pipes are AFE power that the previous owner fitted so I'm guessing is part of the problem.

I'm thinking of removing the cats altogether as getting factory replacements are almost impossible here.

Also I'm thinking of going to a single 4" exhaust right through as more mixing all of the pulses should get rid of the rasp. Anyone tried it?
Has anyone tried to get 4" pipe past the spare tyre / rear springs? Take into account i've got Icon rear springs going in too.
Has anyone moved the spare tyre sideways to allow more space?
If all that's too hard then it might just be a dump in front of the rear axle....

I know this isn't an 8 but I race against alot of guys that run the Nissan 3.5 V6 with twin turbos and they sound great so i can figure why this motor can't be sorted to sound properly too!

Anyway I'm going to dummy it all up in steel and assuming I achieve what I want will then get a SS system made.

Thoughts, ideas, comments??????

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with all respect... they may be out there, but I’ve never heard what I consider a good sounding aftermarket exhaust on an EB 3.5.

ive heard many people SAY their EB 3.5 sounds great. But I’ve never actually heard one that sounds great.

best of luck in your quest. and keep us posted. :)

OP
OP
D

darinz

Reaction score
Ok so some progress.
I've gone to 4" where the Corsa, AFE etc join just after the cross member.
From there I went to a 4" straight through resonator then back to the factory rear pipes.
This was pretty good and got rid of the rattle but was still too 'tin canish'. But much much better than the Corsa system!

Next i fitted to 3" Flowmaster copy mufflers after the resonator.
This gave a really good deep sound with no tin can or rasp at all. It had a deep rumble but had a bit of drone. (too much IMO)
The bad side of it was that it slowed the turbo spool so needs to be changed. It is possible it's just the cheap mufflers but not going to buy expensive mufflers to then not use them.

I've now gone to a Flowmaster 30 series 4" muffler and the 4" ends just over the rear axle. (So exhuast ends by the spare wheel pointing at the ground.) This lets the turbos spool really quick and sound is OK but is a bit hollow and too loud.
The next step is I'll fit the 4" resonator in front of the Flowmaster and then see how that goes. I think this could be the balance between sound quality, volume and performance based on what I've seen so far.

One thing I'm thinking about is modifying the Flowmaster to a twin 3" outlet so can go to twin rear pipes direct from the muffler. From a flow point of view twin 3" is slightly more than single 4" (which is about the same as twin 2-3/4) so it'll help the Flowmaster scavenge even more.

I'm doing all of this is steel until I get what I want and will then go to stainless. (and hope that doesn't bring the tincan back!!!)