4 Auto Issue

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Jeff-Ohio, Jan 18, 2017.

1. u0104940

u0104940 Full Access Member

Sorry to hear abut that, best to get it fixed right. This also tells me to take a test drive while at the dealership picking up my truck this weekend instead of just driving it straight home.

pughde likes this.
  2. theOracle13

theOracle13 Member

I put my truck into weather mode today while a light snow was falling. I hear the same sound you are describing. I don't know what it is. I only have a couple hundred miles on the truck as well.

3. gocloud

gocloud Member

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same issues on my Gen 2 Raptor with 4A and the noise...

pughde likes this.
  4. Jeff-Ohio

Jeff-Ohio Full Access Member

I still hear the same noise. I am beginning to think it is somewhat normal. 4A on this truck is definitely not as smooth and seamless as an Acura MDX, etc.... My 2011 Armada 4A mode even seems much more refined to the degree that you can flip the switch between 2H and 4A and I wouldn't be able to tell a difference, but that definitely isn't the case with the Raptor due to the noise, a mild binding feel when accelerating in a straight line, and a mild tug on the steering wheel when coming out of a turn as the system starts engaging the front wheels.

5. dlbb

dlbb Full Access Member

just a lil info. i only had the raptor a few days. but on the test drive i did put it in to 4a. sale's guy didn't know it could be used on dry roads lol. i noticed no difference then the 4a in my 14 lariat heavy duty, aside from the power of the truck. the sound of the front engaging and disengaging is only noticeable with the radio off. i can definitely feel the pull and feed back in the steering wheel. but so far seams the same as my 14. i will agreee the 4a isn't as refined as the acura mdx. but the mdx is a front primary with rear for traction.

edit i have actually drove the new truck almost 500 miles since last friday @12pm.

6. photoneffect

photoneffect Full Access Member

I recommend turning the radio up louder. Should solve the noise problem.

Speedemon likes this.
  7. Benihana

Benihana Member

I realize this is an older thread, but thought I'd chime in.

11K miles on my 2017 Raptor, and I too notice a whining metal-on-metal chains dragging on the ground type of noise when the Raptor is in 4A. 2H, it's gone.

I hear it only while accelerating and when power is going to all four wheels. I hear it most between 30-50 mph, probably because faster than that the road noise starts to drown it out.

8. kandewinn

kandewinn Full Access Member

mines in 4a 85% of the time (Winter Michigan), have never heard any noises from my 4a. Leave it in 2wd and get it to dealer.

9. rtmozingo

rtmozingo Full Access Member

Sounds like IWE problems guys. Get them checked quick.

Don't shift drivetrain (or change driving modes) unless your foot is off the pedal and you don't have wheel slippage.

10. Benihana

Benihana Member

I have done all my shifts so far with the car in motion, but without any acceleration or braking. Foot off both pedals, car rolling forward on flat ground.

I contacted my local dealership to have them check it out, I go to them this coming Monday. I'll keep y'all posted! In the meantime, I'm driving the truck in 2H only.

I also got to test drive my buddy's 2015 F150 Lariat. He has the 2.7L engine and 6 speed transmission. I toggled it between 2H and 4A and noticed no difference in sounds on his.