4 Auto Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u0104940

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your help. I am dropping it off again tomorrow for a more serious issue (truck doesn't shift right and sort of surges while trying to maintain a steady speed), so I will have them look at the 4 Auto issue. Aside from loud clunks, I am guessing they will tell me the noise I am hearing in 4 Auto is normal, but I didn't hear it at all on a 2017 Limited that I drove with the 10-speed transmission. I will keep everybody posted on what I find out. They just had my truck for 8 days with respect to the surging issue and thought it was due to a bad spark plug in cylinder #6 (it threw a misfire code for cylinder 6), but that apparently wasn't the issue because I am still having the same problem. I love the truck, but just want it to run right.

Sorry to hear abut that, best to get it fixed right. This also tells me to take a test drive while at the dealership picking up my truck this weekend instead of just driving it straight home.

theOracle13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate reaching out and asking these questions, but I'm not sure if I have an issue with the 4 Auto on my 2017 Raptor or not. When you put your truck in 4 Auto and hit the gas, do you hear a swooshing noise, or something that sounds like "Shshshshshshshshshsh"? It isn't overly loud, but it is obviously drawing my attention. It goes away when I take my foot off the gas. I definitely do not hear the same noise while hitting the gas in to 2 High.

I put my truck into weather mode today while a light snow was falling. I hear the same sound you are describing. I don't know what it is. I only have a couple hundred miles on the truck as well.

gocloud

Reaction score
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same issues on my Gen 2 Raptor with 4A and the noise...

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a resolution to this issue? I'm having the same issues on my Gen 2 Raptor with 4A and the noise...

I still hear the same noise. I am beginning to think it is somewhat normal. 4A on this truck is definitely not as smooth and seamless as an Acura MDX, etc.... My 2011 Armada 4A mode even seems much more refined to the degree that you can flip the switch between 2H and 4A and I wouldn't be able to tell a difference, but that definitely isn't the case with the Raptor due to the noise, a mild binding feel when accelerating in a straight line, and a mild tug on the steering wheel when coming out of a turn as the system starts engaging the front wheels.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a lil info. i only had the raptor a few days. but on the test drive i did put it in to 4a. sale's guy didn't know it could be used on dry roads lol. i noticed no difference then the 4a in my 14 lariat heavy duty, aside from the power of the truck. the sound of the front engaging and disengaging is only noticeable with the radio off. i can definitely feel the pull and feed back in the steering wheel. but so far seams the same as my 14. i will agreee the 4a isn't as refined as the acura mdx. but the mdx is a front primary with rear for traction.

edit i have actually drove the new truck almost 500 miles since last friday @12pm.

Benihana

Reaction score
I realize this is an older thread, but thought I'd chime in.

11K miles on my 2017 Raptor, and I too notice a whining metal-on-metal chains dragging on the ground type of noise when the Raptor is in 4A. 2H, it's gone.

I hear it only while accelerating and when power is going to all four wheels. I hear it most between 30-50 mph, probably because faster than that the road noise starts to drown it out.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines in 4a 85% of the time (Winter Michigan), have never heard any noises from my 4a. Leave it in 2wd and get it to dealer.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like IWE problems guys. Get them checked quick.

Don't shift drivetrain (or change driving modes) unless your foot is off the pedal and you don't have wheel slippage.

Benihana

Reaction score
I have done all my shifts so far with the car in motion, but without any acceleration or braking. Foot off both pedals, car rolling forward on flat ground.

I contacted my local dealership to have them check it out, I go to them this coming Monday. I'll keep y'all posted! In the meantime, I'm driving the truck in 2H only.

I also got to test drive my buddy's 2015 F150 Lariat. He has the 2.7L engine and 6 speed transmission. I toggled it between 2H and 4A and noticed no difference in sounds on his.