4,000 mile road trip report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Worm

Reaction score
The family and I just got back from a 3,900 mile road trip from Minnesota to Arizona and back again, so I thought I'd share some pics and some thoughts on the truck.

Executive Summary -

• 1 wife, three kids in car seats, the bed loaded with crap, and two bikes on a hitch-mounted carrier
  • 3,900 miles, 15.8 MPG average (primarily highway/freeway, and combination of fuels ranging from 85 octane in Colorado to 91 in Nebraska).
Route -

• MN to AZ: Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, AZ
  • AZ to MN: Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, MN
Likes/Dislikes -

• Likes: Fuel mileage; power; 10 speed; Headlights; general ergonomics
  • Dislikes: Uncomfortable captain's chairs; front end is "floaty"; rear death hop over off-camber bumps at high-speeds; windshield wiper speed is super inconsistent; rear speakers seem non-existent; auto-brights; start-stop
Offroading -

I was able to convince the wife and kid's to let me venture-off on some "lesser maintained" roads, and it was a blast. The first road is out near the Tortilla Flat area and the Apache Trail. It's marked as "Forest 80", but it only goes a few miles currently before you reach a gate that states it is now owned or managed by the government. Not sure what that's all about, but the remainder of the road looks really cool on Google Maps. I know they have had some flooding in that area the last couple of years after the fires, so perhaps the single-lane bridge further down across the river was washed out?

The second route we found while visiting Arches National Park in Moab. It's called Willow Springs Road, and will actually take you out of the park and back to a major roadway, which worked out perfect for us. There are more difficult offshoots that a fella in a Jeep advised me to refrain from, so the family and I stayed on the main 7 mile route. Really fun, with some fast sandy sections, and also some rock sections where I had a few scrapes of the tail pipe or bike rack (not sure which).

Overall, the truck performed flawlessly, and worked pretty well as a family hauler. I drove the entire way, and my wife managed to keep our kids entertained. With how young they are, we found ourselves stopping every 2-3 hours, and 2 nights on the way down, as well as two nights on the way back up. Our other vehicle option was the wife's Explorer, but we would have needed a rooftop cargo carrier for all of the stuff, and even then it may not have been enough. My in-laws ended up buying a place in Gilbert, AZ, so I'm hoping that this trip may become a more regular occurrence, and that I can find some more fun areas to explore down there. And I definitely want to spend some more time in Moab - Really cool area!

AZ 2021 2.jpg

AZ 2021.jpg

AZ 2021 4.jpg

AZ 2021 3.jpg

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15.8 MPG seems a little low. Let me guess, you were going over 80 most of the time?

My fuel economy plummets above about 75MPH. I’ve pulled in as high as 22MPG when I focus on it and drive like an old lady peaking to 60MPH in the straights.

Glad you enjoyed the truck! This is what they’re for - haul lots of living/non-living gear in comfort getting good fuel economy with good power and have some real fun when you find that just right lack of pavement!

PS - we can give you some recommendations in CO of where to go if you promise not to move here :D

OP
OP
Daniel Worm

Daniel Worm

Reaction score
15.8 MPG seems a little low. Let me guess, you were going over 80 most of the time?

My fuel economy plummets above about 75MPH. I’ve pulled in as high as 22MPG when I focus on it and drive like an old lady peaking to 60MPH in the straights.

Glad you enjoyed the truck! This is what they’re for - haul lots of living/non-living gear in comfort getting good fuel economy with good power and have some real fun when you find that just right lack of pavement!

PS - we can give you some recommendations in CO of where to go if you promise not to move here :D
It's funny you mention CO. I've wanted to move there for years, and as we were driving through the discussion came up again with my wife. Right now, with our kids being so young, it would be tough, but who knows. I'd still love to hear some recommendations though!

And yes, I definitely wasn't concerned about the fuel economy, but rather getting to where we were going in a timely manner.