3rd party warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m considering picking up a 2013 SCREW that I just found. It was going through the CPO process but failed because the truck has an aftermarket exhaust. Thus, the dealership could not certify the truck.

But they are offering me a third-party extended warranty through CNA, which would cover me for 7 years/72,000 miles. Supposedly, they’d be selling this to me at “cost”, for $2500.

My question to all of you is, has anyone dealt with CNA? If so, any feedback/input?

For those who don’t have CNA but do have non-factory, third-party extended warranties, what is your input? Is it worth the $2500?

You just hear bad things from time to time regarding these third-party companies, so I’m trying to do my due diligence. A quick Google search shows that CNA is a BBB certified company that looks it has an A+ score.

Of course there are negative reviews online, but also positive ones. That goes for just about anything that you would want to research these days, restaurants, bars etc. etc. Just looking to hear back from some of you folks who may have dealt with this in the past to get some info so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Third party warranties are rarely any good and you should be able to buy a Ford ESP plan. My bet the dealer is trying to steer you in to a plan that has better profits for them.

I had MaxCare with Carmax and when I finally had a claim, MaxCare denied the warranty because I had "oversized" tires and they wouldn't accept the Raptor had 35" tires stock. After filing what would have been a very expensive arbitration claim against MaxCare all of a sudden everything was OK and my Raptor was repaired.

And MaxCare is considered one of the better warranties out there yet you can find complaint after complaint.

I did purchase a Ford ESP plan at 76k miles. It's a 4 Year 60K Premium Care and I had no issues getting the plan with my Raptor that is far from stock.

Take a look here,

Ford Extended Warranty

I had to have my Raptor inspected and did so with a local dealer who then matched the price that Troy Ford was going to charge.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a waste of money to me. The Raptor seems easily capable of 250k miles without much trouble, just normal maintenance and bunch expensive shock rebuilds lol. What is going to break that costs more than $2500 to repair?

You should be OK if you use the warranty at the selling dealer. If you have it serviced at this dealer, most will have your back when dealing with the warranty they sold you. $2500 for 72 miles doesn't sound too bad.

Now on my just previous Cayenne turbo and the Range Rover Supercharged I was looking at... "we do not cover that vehicle sir" is the response you get from all of the warranty companies, for any price, that is when you worry about what you are buying.

The low price for the long coverage is telling, this is not a troublesome vehicle.

What does it cover? I wouldn't bother at all with a drivetrain only. Would it cover the PIA blend doors in the dash? Maybe a touchscreen failure? I would want pretty comprehensive electronics coverage as those are the only things likely to break on this truck. IMO

D

Deleted member 12951

Would only get a Ford ESP. Not sure if you can though if over 41k miles or out of the factory warranty. No way would I pay for a 3rd party warranty and especially at that price.

OP
OP
ineedaBubble

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would only get a Ford ESP. Not sure if you can though if over 41k miles or out of the factory warranty. No way would I pay for a 3rd party warranty and especially at that price.

Looks like Ford ESP cannot be purchased outside of the factory new car/truck warranty. bab2b994a6c90c64d2e7f36d8eb11d27.jpg

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score

$2500 is a lot for 72k miles of coverage? I am used to vehicles that cost that every 20k miles...

OP
OP
ineedaBubble

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$2500 is a lot for 72k miles of coverage? I am used to vehicles that cost that every 20k miles...

My thoughts exactly. Price seems fair. Just want to make sure the coverage is legit.

Back to your point about getting the truck serviced at the selling dealership. That won’t happen because the truck I’m interested in is out of state (5-6 hours away).

D

Deleted member 12951

Granted I didn't purchase used. I purchased my Ford PremiumCare ESP for 7 yrs / 125k miles for $1725. I've already used it a few times and its paid for itself so far and I still have 3.5yrs and 70k miles to go.

If this is going to be a street raptor, pass on the warranties. I never purchased these and the one time I did, I got screwed (that was a dodge).
I only put an extended warranty on this truck because I take it off-road and so far my dealership has fixed everything that hasn't held up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Price seems fair. Just want to make sure the coverage is legit.

Back to your point about getting the truck serviced at the selling dealership. That won’t happen because the truck I’m interested in is out of state (5-6 hours away).

So the best guys to ask are the ones at the service facility you intend to use. In that case I would almost certainly pass. I haven't had a 3rd party warranty for years but it was always a hassle if they didn't sell it to you. Delays in approvals, payments, lots of potential hassles. Better off to keep a small slush fund, though I really do not think the Raptor needs it unless you are looking at one with 150k plus miles. Unserviced transmission would be my fear then. That could be spendy.