3rd Monster Energy Outlaw Raptor “Black Op’s Run” September 9-11 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CL 8 2WD

Reaction score
I'll have a full run report up later this week. The roll over was due to very bad flash floods the night before causing a a huge rain wash in the road. The left front spindle snapped causing the truck to pitch and roll. My Raptor is fully caged with 5 point harneses and we all wear helmets. It is this exact reason I lead the run and have all the safety measures inplace. No one was hurt. My wife and I are fine and we'll be back on the run next month. Full night ops run report coming soon.
where was the wash out at so i can slow down for it.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bet it's Fords fault Huh !
Warranty claim, Blue ?
Now not only do Ford Raptors have wet noodle frames, they have spindles made of "silly putty" !
And off he goes for another 100,000 hit thread !
Yall would'nt listen to me. Nope, no sir. Take the high road ! :Jedi:
Trying to be helpful... unlike your posts, which are just distracting. This thread is far from a joke, so stop being disrespectful.

GRT4DRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty claim, Blue ?
Now not only do Ford Raptors have wet noodle frames, they have spindles made of "silly putty" !

I think the only thing made of wet noodles and silly putty is sittin on top of your shoulders.... Don't trash this thread Mcdoosh-nozzle.....

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nono:

Warranty claim, Blue ?

Trying to be helpful... unlike your posts, which are just distracting. This thread is far from a joke, so stop being disrespectful.

I think the only thing made of wet noodles and silly putty is sittin on top of your shoulders.... Don't trash this thread Mcdoosh-nozzle.....

OP
OP
Outlaw Offroad

Outlaw Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now Now boys play nicely !!! Sorry about not having the Night Run story up yet. We came off the run and right in to the Sand Sports Super show and now we have the Anaheim Auto show starting this Thursday - Sunday. I'll post the run report tomorrow along with all the pictures on the Outlaw Raptor site. Remember if you want to do all your B/S talking on one another the do it else were on the forum not in the vendor section. Thanks

OP
OP
Outlaw Offroad

Outlaw Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Op's Night Run Mission Mission Debriefing Part 1

Monster Energy Outlaw Raptor Black Ops Night Run Report

Just three days before the Black Ops night run the black raptor, RSV 1, was still in pieces. As we built the roll cage (which came in handy later on) the workload on the Outlaw Offroad install side was overwhelming. Fabrication orders were backing up and with the night run just around the corner we had our work cut out for us. Our staff met to discuss a game plan, what time we needed to leave for the run, and the expectation of bad weather in the desert areas.*On Thursday, the Outlaw Staff arrived at*6:30 am*and worked until*3:30 am,*getting jobs done and prepping for the run.*Friday morning*all the day jobs were completed and the prep work was done. At 7:30 p.m we left the shop and met in Barstow, Ca. for a 10:00 p.m. registration check in. At this point the staff and I were pretty tired but ready to get the offroad expedition going.*

As we drove to Barstow the rain and lightning had started. Once everyone arrived we huddled under the EZ up, went through the drivers’ meeting and issued the GPS downloads. At*11:30 p.m.*we were headed up the 15N to the start of the trail. The trail we were running consisted of everything the California desert could throw at us. With the rain and lightning I knew we were in for a long night. Based on the 200 miles we were covering I estimated that it would take between 8 and 11 hours. The first 60 miles were a slower paced technical trail with whoops and differential smashing rocked out dry washes. Not too far ahead of us was a 6 mile long dry lake bed we needed to cross and with the rain falling like it was, there was the possibility of being in some serious slip and slide action. Fortunately, we made it through the lake bed safely and started our transition east to Laughlin, NV just as the rain really started coming down. The lightning was truly amazing to say the least. It was so often, and so bright that it made for a great light show. The entire group powered through some super tight, over grown trails, and road crossings where we eventually caught up with "Godzilla", the chase truck. We had quite a few stops to adjust lights, change out a spare tire or two, and replenish coolers with Monsters. We ran through the night hours with Vision X HID’s piercing the darkness. After some 6.5 hours of night driving we were treated to a spectacular sunrise as the lightning continued to break in the skyline.*

After finally reaching hwy 95, we headed north to refuel, and pick up some much needed refreshments. We had 130 miles to go and were in need of a short rest. We stopped for about an hour and then started at it again. We left it up to a group vote, and ran the east side of the 95 on a straight but very technical trail before heading over to the west side of the 95 and in to Las Vegas. *This cut our trip by one hour. The plan was to arrive at the Hard Rock Hotel by 11:00 a.m and we were quickly coming up on 8:00 a.m, with 130 miles to go. The group decided to tackle the west side and leave the untouched bonus trail for next time. One by one we shot up a fast power-line road towards the mountains, just south of Las Vegas. This trail was by no means easy. Depending on your speed, truck set up, and driving ability, reaching speeds over 100 mph, and becoming airborne is easily accomplished. After fixing three flat tires on three different trucks we hit the pavement around 10:30 p.m. The entire group made it safely to Vegas and bedded down for some much needed R&R before our awards dinner. *
On every run the Outlaw staff and I maintain a watchful eye on potential award winners. However, on this run it was quite easy to determine the winners. The winner of the “Most Challenged” raptor award went to Stan K. for being the first to get lost. The winner of the “Closest Call” award went to Grant R. for going through the most tires ever on a run, and the last award of the night was the “Top Raptor” award. This is the hardest award to pick. The winner must go above and beyond and in this case Pat S. did just that by demonstrating what these runs are really about... helping others. Pat, from San Diego, Ca was the oldest driver on the run with more energy then most 17 year olds and was on top of every problem that arose.*

Link to Outlaw Raptor photo Gallery:
Monster Energy Black Op's Night run Image Gallery

Attachments

• IMG_9966.jpg
    IMG_9966.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7274.jpg
    IMG_7274.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7346.jpg
    IMG_7346.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 357
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
OP
OP
Outlaw Offroad

Outlaw Offroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part 2 Black Op's

Part 2:

We enjoyed a nice dinner at P. F. Changs. We exchanged stories from the run, and went over the plans for day 2. After dinner everyone hit the sack.*

Our wake up call was at 10:00 am. *All drivers met in the lobby at 11:00 a.m and we were on the road at noon. There were 190 miles of fast trails to look forward to. Since we planned on doing some filming of day 2 for the Raptor run movie we required a bit of stopping while the camera man got into position. The day was off to a great start with terrain that was loose and very slippery. Due to all the flash floods from the previous day the dust was down and we were off. We shot a several segments for the movie and encountered a few more flat tires, one of which called for an emergency tire replacement from "Godzilla" who luckily still had two good tires left. We arranged to meet at a road crossing, load up the new tire, off load all dead ones, restock on Monster's and get back on the trail. As luck would have it with all the stopping, tire changing, movie shots, and meeting up with Godzilla for a restock time had flown by. The sun was starting to set as we approached night two of the run. We set off to finish the last of the 60 miles. HIDs were on and the pedal was on the floor. I was determined to get this group to the end. I snugged down my harnesses and told my codriver and my wife to get ready. The last 40 miles of the run are high speed with banked turns and minimal cautions to look out for. As we approached mile marker 11 of the 60 miles on flat roads we traveled at high speeds with slight #1 and #2 lefts and rights. We weaved back to Barstow and I was feeling comfortable, knowing the road like the back of my hand. We went into a #2 right at speeds of 90 mph. With the rear drifting out slightly my eyes opened as big as watermelons as I came up on a washed out trench crossing the road. Knowing the washed out trench was to big to go over and no time to avoid it I power braked shifted down a gear and punched the gas to keep the front end up. In the blink of an eye I felt contact with the left front, then a sudden pitching of the truck to the left. The drivers side spindle had snapped just under the arm. We slid sideways went up onto the side of the trail embankment. With a full counter steer to the right I reached my hand over to my co driver and said we are going to roll. We rolled 2.5 times, landing on the roof completely up side down.*

Now, you’re probably thinking to yourself “Wow, I hope nobody was hurt.” The good news is that everyone on the run wears helmets and in RSV1 we have Sparco bucket seats with 5 point harnesses. Not to mention a 2” chromolly roll cage keeping the cab of the vehicle and its passengers out of harms way.

Within seconds my wife unfastened her seatbelt and was out of the truck. I jumped out after and assisted my co-driver out. We were all okay besides everyone being a little shaken up. The only injuries sustained were my own due to the driver’s side airbag going off causing some slight cuts and bruises on my face. Having been in quite a few rollovers in the past I knew the panic could set in fast. I reached back inside the truck and got on the radio "RSV 1 has rolled huge wash out on trail!" Not sure if anyone was receiving my radio calls I looked up to see the next Raptor coming to a stop. Raptor 4 Wade B. pulled up and jumped out to aide us. Shortly after, the rest of the drivers pulled up to see what had happened and lend a helping hand. After making sure everyone was okay and clearing our heads for a while we started to brainstorm. The big question was how to get a rolled over Raptor with a torn off wheel out of the pitch black desert. The Outlaw crew made contact with Godzilla and they navigated her in with the trailer. Within a few hours we had the rolled truck onto the trailer and secured it down. I got the group together and we made the decision to end the run there at that point. Although a few wanted to go on (myself included) the decision was a vote and most thought it would be better to call it a night. We loaded up and everyone followed out and headed home.*

Now I’d like to talk about safety, the rollover and how the rollover happened. I have quite a bit of racing history under my belt and have rolled plenty of trucks and buggies. Some were from driver’s error and some were due to mechanical failure with the vehicle. The Ford Raptor in this case had no mechanical failures due to manufacturer’s defects nor is this in any way a mechanical issue. What happened on this run was due to heavy flash flooding causing washed out trenches. When planning the runs we knew the lead truck would have to be heavily modified with added safety equipment. The reason I take on the responsibility as the lead truck is to try and prevent others who are not so well equipped from getting into bad situations. On the following Tuesday of every run we have staff meetings about the run on the good and the bad that we encountered. During this recent meeting the main focus was of course, the rollover. One of the main questions asked in the meeting was “could we have prevented the rollover?” The answer is NO. Even if we pre-ran this trail the day before, the wash out may not have been there. The trails are different day to day due to constant changing weather conditions. We currently have 2 satellite phones, one in each of our Raptors. Emergency location transmitters will also be in both trucks for added security. Before each run, we e-mail the 3 surrounding trams centers that provide emergency fleet air support. I always get asked why radios and GPS units are necessary and I always answer: safety. For those of you who are new to the off road world and for those of you who intend on participating in a Raptor Run please keep one thing in mind: IT IS NOT A RACE. You must drive at your own pace, one in which you feel comfortable. Having fun is the name of the game but just like in any event, accidents are going to happen.

On the Outlaw Raptor Runs we have many types of personalities and driving abilities. On the runs we do our best to make sure everybody has the time of their lives and take home incredible memories. I recently saw a post on the forum that stated “Will the run still go on?” The answer is YES, it most definitely will. Not only will the run go on but coming into 2012 we are putting together a program with some sponsoring vendors to grow this into a national Raptor event! There is talk on the table about also being able to rent a Ford Raptor for the run, fully accessorized and equipped with all the safety items.
With all that being said, the show must go on! I started these runs for Ford Raptor owners like myself that have a true passion for offroading and adventure. Things happen and that is just a part of the game. You take it in stride and keep pushing on because this is what we love to do.

The Next Run: We will be pre-running the course October 1, 2011 on a totally new trail that may require a remote fuel drop and possibly even a sleepover in the desert! The actual run will be set for late October (more info to come soon). We would like to give a special thanks to all the past night run participants for their help and support. I look forward to making memories with all of you again soon.

Link to Outlaw Raptor Photo gallery;
Monster Energy Black Op's Night run Image Gallery

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too cool!!! Glad no one got hurt... My goal is to have my truck ready for one of these next year...

RaptorinTX

Reaction score
Connor glad to hear everyone is fine and appreciate you coordinating these events. I know from participating they take a lot of time and effort before, during and after. Look forward to the next run.