3K miles, oil pressure light and low oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ll disagree slightly with @GCATX here.

while we do have more modern cars with more thorough and more critical maintenance aids, we still only have an oil “idiot light”, even though it looks like a gauge. By the time the idiot light goes off, you’re already way too low on oil and that’s one reason the vehicles now come with limp home mode.

However, warranty law is still stuck in the 70’s and if you aren’t checking your oil regularly, manufacturers can claim neglect in a warranty claim or lemon law suit. I’ll bet it is mentioned in the manual somewhere but I don’t need to be told to check the fluids or wear a seat belt or inspect the tires.

You’ll read a lot of keyboard warriors proclaiming ‘I’ll just drive it this way until it grenades’ or hear stories of a service employee recommending something similar. That would be a poor life choice. You might get away with it or you might get a regional rep or counsel who finds out about this and points out this is neglect / abuse and not covered under the factory or extended warranty.

I don’t honestly know if the trucks are filled with fluids to capacity, or just partially filled, but either way if it’s delivered to you with tires at 50psi, or anything amiss, that’s a PDI that failed to meet quality expectations.
You should not trust the PDI that allowed a mistake to make it to you.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I literally never see anyone checking their oil at the gas station, unless they are driving a beater and have to add a quart every week

That's one of the reasons the replacement engine business is so good.

I check all of my vehicle's oil levels at home, cold engine, all oil back in the pan. 100% repeatable.

Since I change my own oil, and check it after the change, every 1000 miles or so into it, and just before it's changed- I know for a fact none of the engines I own burn oil. Yet, I still check the oil. I guess it's just habit now since my old 5.4L 2V engine used a quart every 2000 miles or so. I had to check that or I'd have been buying a new engine.

OP
OP
LeCreaux

LeCreaux

Reaction score
According to the dealership it will be a few thousand miles before the oil consumption stabilizes. But I had to put another half-quart in today.

Taking it in tomorrow to get looked at. There's no visible oil loss or any other signs. No smell, no noise, no smoke. But doesn't seem right to need almost 3 quarts of oil in 3,000 miles.

OP
OP
LeCreaux

LeCreaux

Reaction score
The dealership service department manager acknowledged that it's possible they forgot to put oil in during the delivery inspection. Gave me instructions about what to monitor and said they're prepared to replace anything if there's damage. So far no signs of damage and hasn't been any oil loss since I topped it off. There were no codes, no engine light, and even my Ford Pass app isn't flagging it as needing or ever needing oil. The system is showing oil life at 66%.

Weird considering it needed a total of 3 quarts of oil and went into fail-safe mode. But anyway it seems OK and lesson learned about trusting the service department without verifying.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil could be going in the intake, something to do with valve cover seals. Watch the level close. Also not a bad idea to check the transmission (read PITA) mine was 1.5 quart low
Good luck

moe

Reaction score
I purchased a Ford raptor in jan of this year a 2019. I have about 3900 miles on it currently and I’ve had the issues of low pressure warning come on twice. I check the oil and it seems very black but at an ok lvl. Also before this popped up a few weeks ago I put the peddle to the metal and I feel like the truck pulls back from full acceleration. This is my first truck so I’m a noob when it comes to this. Will the dealer even do anything about this??

moe

Reaction score
Just hit 3K miles on my 2019. Was merging onto the highway and power suddenly cut out. I pulled off the highway and there was an AutoZone nearby. Oil wasn't even touching the dipstick. Put in one quart and it was back on the stick and pressure came back up and all is well.

There's no oil on the engine, under the truck, anywhere. Doesn't smoke. Does it really consume enough oil in 3K miles to turn on the oil pressure light and fail-safe the engine?

MGA

Reaction score
Just got my 2019 our of the shop for these very same oil pressure and acceleration issues. There was a technical bulletin on the issue which took most of a day for them to do, I was told valve seals or something but the work seemed much more in depth. All is running great now though!

WraptorBoy

Reaction score
FYI, I read the 2019 Raptor supplemental and it states this:

"You can drive high performance vehicles in such a way that may lead to higher oil consumption this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers, track and off-road usage. Under these conditions, oil consumption of approximately 1 quart per 500 miles (1 liter per 800 km) is possible. As a result, you need to check the engine oil level at every refueling and adjust to maintain proper levels to avoid engine damage."

I am sure ya'll are driving normally and the above doesn't really apply but, the take away is that Ford is saying the truck can use a quart every 500 miles under certain conditions. That is a huge amount of oil!

So it seems this engine/performance/setup etc can use more oil than average and it's easier, than one would think, to get into this condition...

Hope this info helps...

Last edited: