3K miles, oil pressure light and low oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeCreaux

Reaction score
Just hit 3K miles on my 2019. Was merging onto the highway and power suddenly cut out. I pulled off the highway and there was an AutoZone nearby. Oil wasn't even touching the dipstick. Put in one quart and it was back on the stick and pressure came back up and all is well.

There's no oil on the engine, under the truck, anywhere. Doesn't smoke. Does it really consume enough oil in 3K miles to turn on the oil pressure light and fail-safe the engine?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
was it full when you took delivery?

That’s definitely not good, if it was full and you got to this point, then chances are you’re using oil. The ’18’s had a run of this with replacement valve covers. Definitely get it hauled to the dealer. If there’s any good news, it’s that the computer scrams things before you can screw it up, as you’ve seen.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Just hit 3K miles on my 2019. Was merging onto the highway and power suddenly cut out. I pulled off the highway and there was an AutoZone nearby. Oil wasn't even touching the dipstick. Put in one quart and it was back on the stick and pressure came back up and all is well.

There's no oil on the engine, under the truck, anywhere. Doesn't smoke. Does it really consume enough oil in 3K miles to turn on the oil pressure light and fail-safe the engine?

Similar happened to me. I posted up here about it and was chastised for not checking the oil level when I picked up the truck, new. I added oil and all was good, then changed the oil and monitored it for another several thousand miles. No real noticeable change in level. In conclusion, it seems mine either came new with low oil, or motor used oil when breaking in, or a combination of both. Personally, I believe it was delivered low on oil.

Best of luck Sir.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you checked you oil since you got the truck? You need to get in the habit of checking oil at least every 3rd fill up at the pump.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Similar happened to me. I posted up here about it and was chastised for not checking the oil level when I picked up the truck, new. I added oil and all was good, then changed the oil and monitored it for another several thousand miles. No real noticeable change in level. In conclusion, it seems mine either came new with low oil, or motor used oil when breaking in, or a combination of both. Personally, I believe it was delivered low on oil.

Best of luck Sir.

I just got chastised for actually checking the fluids when I picked up Lucille. :)

apparently I need to get a life.

Yeah, my point was, unless he knows it was full when he picked up the truck, he can’t say for certain if there is or isn’t a problem. If he needs to run the issue to ground, they’ll need to monitor usage for a good while to see if the truck is consuming oil beyond factory tolerance which is a slow and tedious process.

The truck does its best to keep you from running it with no oil pressure but there’s never a mechanical or electronic guarantee on these things. And who among us really wants to grenade a motor by running out of oil? Even a 6.2? :p

Blackrapt

Reaction score
That just scared the shit out of me reading about checking the oil. Mine is a new 2018 with 2500 miles and shows 70% oil service. So I ran out there and put the truck level and pulled the stick. It shows a hair under the full mark on the cross lines. Thank god it’s got oil showing. I will change it soon and see a lot of people use Mobile one. I used that in my Tundra and had no problems. I also looked and seen the metal pan and bolt which I was glad of.

OP
OP
LeCreaux

LeCreaux

Reaction score
According to the dealership they don’t arrive topped off on fluids. Info I could have used the day I bought it. I assumed they had prepped the truck and didn’t think I needed to check fluids on a brand new truck with 4 miles on it.

Anyway it’s topped off now, needed 2 quarts, and I’ll be monitoring it.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
According to the dealership they don’t arrive topped off on fluids. Info I could have used the day I bought it. I assumed they had prepped the truck and didn’t think I needed to check fluids on a brand new truck with 4 miles on it.

Anyway it’s topped off now, needed 2 quarts, and I’ll be monitoring it.

Maybe PDI = Pre-delivery ingnorance

I always thought it was pre-delivery inspection lol

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would really frustrate me if my Raptor was consuming oil, but I don't understand people who buy a $70k truck and don't check the oil periodically. I check mine immediately after every oil change and at least a couple times between oil changes.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It would really frustrate me if my Raptor was consuming oil, but I don't understand people who buy a $70k truck and don't check the oil periodically. I check mine immediately after every oil change and at least a couple times between oil changes.

This isn't the 70's anymore. I would think most cars, not Ford apparently, have a sensor to warn of low oil. This is my first Ford in 16 years, I haven't had an oil level issue since I was a teenager flogging clapped out 70's and 80's junk. I'm not saying you're wrong, but anymore, we've been conditioned to let the vehicle tell us when it needs oil or an oil change. Owners manuals are for suckers (Ford owners).

The flipside of "I don't understand people who buy a $70k truck and don't check the oil periodically", is if you buy a mass produced $70k truck, should you have to check the oil every other fuel up? I literally never see anyone checking their oil at the gas station, unless they are driving a beater and have to add a quart every week.

Mine doesn't seem to be burning oil, I can only assume that it was shipped low on oil, or used a shit ton of oil when new. I believe it was shipped low on oil and I was lazy and didn't check it when I picked it up. Word to the wise, check the oil level.