3D Print updating the whipple shaft cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sre363

sre363

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have got it worked out. Unfortunately its not cheap to print with high quality material (ie. will survive in the engine bay) and a high quality finish. with time and material I can do them at $200 and it will take little over two days to build. If you would like a custom logo on it i'm open to inquiries. It just needs fits in a 8.75in x 1.75in frame and probably be an additional $100 depending on how complicated. If its real simple it can be less or you want to break it up among multiple people cool. If that sounds like to much. I've sent it out for quoting and here is an example for just printing time, No CAD work.

3D Hub Quote2.JPG

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tested this on engine for a long time yet? I'm assuming it's something like NylonX?

I'd be very worried about warpage. I've only seen Ultem used in engine bays successfully.

OP
OP
sre363

sre363

Reaction score
Have you tested this on engine for a long time yet? I'm assuming it's something like NylonX?

I'd be very worried about warpage. I've only seen Ultem used in engine bays successfully.
I have had a test part on the truck for a couple of month now. I have a Markforged Mark2 machine. The material is similar to NylonX but its proprietary to Markforged called Onyx at 3x the price. Unfortunately I've tried to substitute mulitple other carbon nylon filaments only to get unsatisfactory results so I do believe it is of a higher grade product. The material is worked at 527 degrees during builds so I have little worry of it warping or failing at any point. At work we use onyx components to hold chrome exhaust tips so they dont get scratched during weld up.with out much issue. Really the only issue I had was I used guerilla glue that started to get brittle from the heat. Ive switched to using 3M epoxy to fix that. Speaking of work I'm designing machines for the whole cat back system on the next gen Raptor. Cant find any info on what motor it is yet. It will most likely show up when we get the catalytic prints. If you guys can keep a secret.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Onyx is still nylon based. Looks like the printing temperature is marginally higher than NylonX. Glad it's working out. I might try some parts myself.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice work! would you want to sell your STL file for jack shaft cover? I have a 3d printer where i work , like to try to make one myself. I wouldn't be making them to sell just my own personal use. Even if it is rough i could sand it down and paint it up. The boss got us one to try and make emergency parts ,for industrial automation, so far we have only made dongs to stick on other mechanics toolboxes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sre363

sre363

Reaction score
Nice work! would you want to sell your STL file for jack shaft cover? I have a 3d printer where i work , like to try to make one myself. I wouldn't be making them to sell just my own personal use. Even if it is rough i could sand it down and paint it up. The boss got us one to try and make emergency parts ,for industrial automation, so far we have only made dongs to stick on other mechanics toolboxes.
Haha been there. When we got ours it's like what do now. Then someone prints a little toadstool looking *****. Sorry I've been burned on sharing files before. Not saying you would I just dont go down that road. But I may have some old files. I believe still have trebuchet model somewhere. I'll go rummage through old folders a send you a PM

OP
OP
sre363

sre363

Reaction score
Still interested in that gauge pod...
I haven't forgot about it. I had ordered a large format printer 3/20 to simplify the process for a 6 gauge pod into a single piece print. My max width is 320mm (12.6in) and five gauge pod is the max i can do without double stacking or splitting the gage mounting face. Problem is once I started to try to piece together around the gauge mounting holes the face was impossible to get a clean seam and was also not very structurally stiff.. Unfortunately with this whole covid-19 shutdown I'm still waiting for it to ship. I will update as soon as I get the new machine.

As a side note I'm working on a new third brake light unit that use KC cyclone lights. 3 red brake and 2 white for reverse. But that almost 14in long and also has to wait for the large printer to arrive.

OP
OP
sre363

sre363

Reaction score
Sorry I'm still waiting for the new machine to get in. When I ordered it they were supposed to be able to ship it in 4 weeks. Its coming out of CA so who knows when it will get shipped. I've been trying to get ahold of them to no avail. So I'm kinda getting frustrated myself. Maybe if I threaten to reverse the charges on my card that might get their attention. I hate being that guy but they at least should respond to emails from people that have orders in.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
3D printer demand shot through the roof due to covid PPE makers, they should still be responding to you though.