37" Tires. Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
37”s make the truck look more badass & more capable, until you get a flat tire on or off road & unless you’re carrying em in the bed like a Baja champ you’ll be calling triple A or the local tow truck. And realiZe- it actually makes the truck LESS capable & a simple event like a flat proves it. Even if you wanna get around that & Carrh a spare in the bed now you’re not taking up cargo space adding weight & possibly making it impossible to close a tonneau.

That alone would do it for me.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
37”s make the truck look more badass & more capable, until you get a flat tire on or off road & unless you’re carrying em in the bed like a Baja champ you’ll be calling triple A or the local tow truck. And realiZe- it actually makes the truck LESS capable & a simple event like a flat proves it. Even if you wanna get around that & Carrh a spare in the bed now you’re not taking up cargo space adding weight & possibly making it impossible to close a tonneau.

That alone would do it for me.
How does getting a flat on a 37 vs a 35 make the truck less capable?

37s, make the truck much more capable.

Driving fast in the dirt is just like drive ng fast on a track. It isn't about how much horsepower you have, or how fast you can accelerate. It's about how much speed you can carry.

Those extra 2" might not seem like much, but they keep you out of all the holes that the guy with 35s falls into and this, you carry more speed.

6 months later and I'm still getting used to 40s as it is absolutely unreal that I can drive through most things that I would check up for on 37s.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does getting a flat on a 37 vs a 35 make the truck less capable?

37s, make the truck much more capable.

Driving fast in the dirt is just like drive ng fast on a track. It isn't about how much horsepower you have, or how fast you can accelerate. It's about how much speed you can carry.

Those extra 2" might not seem like much, but they keep you out of all the holes that the guy with 35s falls into and this, you carry more speed.

6 months later and I'm still getting used to 40s as it is absolutely unreal that I can drive through most things that I would check up for on 37s.

Can’t fit a 37” spare under the bed lol- that’s how. And if you carry one IN the bed all the time- you’re gonna be slower & able to carry less than the guy next to you on 35”s

I agree they look cool. I do think theoretically they help performance off-road, but in reality it’s really a push- I’d say you give up an equal amount of braking/acceleration performance w/ the 37s as much as you gain w/ clearance & “cushion” so to speak.

Even tho you CAN get a 37” setup that’s similar weight to stock, ya limit your tire options so much that you’re compromising again giving up off-road traction performance just so you can fit a 37” that weighs stock like KO2- most options are 10-20 lbs heavier I don’t see it as a “net positive” performance mod- I look at it as a neutral/push at most.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
we'll just have to agree to disagree.

you shouldn't have your spare under the truck anyway. its miserable to remove it if you need it ( and even worse if it is muddy). And chances are that you'll eventuall7y break the spare tire cable ( pretty common on ford trucks, including super duty).

by going to any aftermarket wheel, you're generally saving 8ish lbs ( my wheels are 12 lbs lighter than factory bead lock wheels). By going to 37x12.50 tires, you're gaining 11 lbs.

if you can feel the difference of "losing" 1/2HP, you're a better person than me.

And not for nothing, a tune is pretty commonplace, so the horsepower "loss" discussion is rather negligible.

I mean you can go weigh your factory Beadlock wheel and factory KO2, then understand that a 40" KR3 on a 26 lb wheel weighs 122lbs.

by the old wives tale math, I'm down a whopping 10HP.

what would you rather have? tires that are 7 full inches taller, or 10HP?

2018Yeti

Reaction score
Lift is Ready lift 2.5 SST. Front coil spacer with a bigger replacement rear block 4.5” to replace the stock 2 3/4”. After I installed the lift I got 3” front/ 1” in the rear roughly. Then put on the 37 Toyos.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we'll just have to agree to disagree.

you shouldn't have your spare under the truck anyway. its miserable to remove it if you need it ( and even worse if it is muddy). And chances are that you'll eventuall7y break the spare tire cable ( pretty common on ford trucks, including super duty).

by going to any aftermarket wheel, you're generally saving 8ish lbs ( my wheels are 12 lbs lighter than factory bead lock wheels). By going to 37x12.50 tires, you're gaining 11 lbs.

if you can feel the difference of "losing" 1/2HP, you're a better person than me.

And not for nothing, a tune is pretty commonplace, so the horsepower "loss" discussion is rather negligible.

I mean you can go weigh your factory Beadlock wheel and factory KO2, then understand that a 40" KR3 on a 26 lb wheel weighs 122lbs.

by the old wives tale math, I'm down a whopping 10HP.

what would you rather have? tires that are 7 full inches taller, or 10HP?

I totally agree with you ZK about the minimal power loss vs bigger tire argument. But out of curiosity what is your opinion on 37's with stock fenders? From everything I've read you really need glass if you want to run hard with 37's