37 Raptor already needs fixing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So for those who didn’t know, in Dallas we just had a week long “ice storm”. Unlucky for me I needed to make a run to the grocery store and decided to put my 23’ 37 Raptor on “snow mode” before even leaving my house. Let me mention that its been in my drive way for less than two months and only 1200 miles on the odometer and hasnt seen a spec of off road dirt. Well my truck decided that it didn’t like that and triggered the “Check 4x4” and “Service Vehicle Soon” messages. Fast forward today, I finally dropped the truck off at the dealership to have it checked out and they said that it was a Mechanical-Electrical problem at the hub. Can anyone shine some light on me in regards to my situation? Has this been common in previous year models? Im really bummed that it happened to me so soon but then again luckily it did while its still under warranty

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The hubs engage the axle shafts electronically… The part that is responsible for that was defective.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
When was the last time you engaged either 4a or 4h?

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just glad when I got to the part when you described the problem. I was expecting to hear someone slid into you or something like that. Whew! I'm glad it was mechanical instead...lol.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I hadn’t engaged it even once since I took delivery of it
I’m not saying this to make you feel bad, but more of a cautionary tale to folks in the future who might see this thread.

At each successive generation, some helpful user posted up a “what to check on day 1” thread. I used that list in 2017 when I went to sign the papers, and I was 90 minutes JUST inspecting the truck, not including the over 30 minute test drive. I did both a pre drive inspection and a post test drive inspection, including crawling under the truck, taking pictures, feeling around for leaks, using my high lumen flashlight, etc, etc., etc. I tested 4a, full throttle take offs in 2h, 4a, 4hi and even got some 4lo time.

I get scoffed at by the starbucks crowd for being “such an àsshole” but I also didn’t suffer any unexpected failures on the drive home, or immediately after. Could I have? Absolutely. Did I reduce the chance of an unexpected error? Yes. Everything on the truck worked as expected, no surprises. I come from a long and distinguished line of frugal people cheapskates. At the time, the downpayment on the Rap was the biggest personal check I’d ever written. So it was with great care that I spent my time at the stealership.

I think @GordoJay is right, this was likely not working from the jump.

Guys/Gals/Other: You’re dropping 80k plus on a well crafted and QA’d truck, but let’s be honest - Ford makes more than their fair share of peasant mobiles. Mistakes happen, and if you don’t want to be surprised by a failure, put in the time to go over the vehicle thoroughly before agreeing to drive home in the new ride. It is ALWAYS your right to get them to fix the vehicle BEFORE taking it home on their time, not yours. Even if you pre-ordered, you haven’t made the purchase yet.

An honest dealer is not going to balk at you doing a pre drive home inspection - they want you to be happy with the transaction so you’ll come back and buy more stuff. If they’re trying to rush you off the lot, that’s “clueful information” and you should be even more thorough.