35's to 37's back to 35's - My tale of change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benhoopes

Reaction score
This is my story of tire swaps and perch adjustments.

Setup #1: Stock has neer done anything for me. So I went to mid perch setting with the stock tires and didn't like the large gap in the fender wells.

Setup #2: So I went to 37's on the stock wheels. Goodyear MTR Kevlars 37x12.5-17's. They looked amazing however they rubbed when wheeling. They rode really nice and I almost considered just not jumping it anymore to maintain the burly look.

Setup #3: Went to the top perch to reduce rub and trimmed a ton of extra plastic around the fenders and hammered down all excess metal inside the fenders. This ride was too abusive and didn't eliminate all rubbing. Still rubbed when jumping and over large whoops sections after suspension got stuffed a little.

Setup #4: Traded a guy that was looking for some bigger tires for Goodyear MTR Kevlars in 35x12.5-17. Now with the top perch the tires looked to small. And not being a 37 they looked too small inside the fenders. Also top perch and 35's made for a terrible ride.

Setup #5: Decided to go back to Mid Perch with the 35's. Much better ride and the gap much more aesthetically pleasing. However it still didn't look right.

Setup #6: SDHQ hooked me up with some Method NV's. They made the truck look just right. Now i think I am done.

You can see the progression in the pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 583
OP
OP
benhoopes

benhoopes

Reaction score
So what's step #7? You go through tires like I change my underwear.

These Goodyears are really quiet on the road however I am a huge fan of Nitto Terragrapplers. I think that will be my next set of tires.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Why didn't you get Boatec fenders with the 37s?

I considered going with Boatecs or other Glass fenders however I didn't want to continue down that slippery slope getting those 37's to fit properly. In the end I just tried to convince myself that 35's were enough tire.

OP
OP
benhoopes

benhoopes

Reaction score
I went down a really BAD back road in KS with pot holes that would eat a Prius and the 37 are night and day difference in ride compared to 35s. I knew right then that the 37s were by far the right direction for me.

I agree that there are times when I wish I still had 37's. Plus the 37's look much better.