35 inch Ridge Grappler OR 37 KO2? Question for ko2 owners!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grantoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to make my decision on what to stick on the truck next week. When I got my gen 2 I promised myself I’d stick with stock and that lasted about a week.

This is my daily driver and our road trip truck so I’m curious what actual mpgs people are getting with 37 ko2s. I remember seeing about a 1mpg drop on my 2011 when I installed 37 ko2s but curious how the new truck does with more gears.

If I decide to go with 35 Ridge grapplers instead I shouldn’t see much change in mpg since the lighter wheels I got offset the heavier weight Of the nittos...

So what change in mpg are you seeing with 37 Ko2s? Should I go Nitto or BFG??

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the 35" Nittos weigh more than the 37" BFGs, but they do.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised that the 35" Nittos weigh more than the 37" BFGs, but they do.

Yeah, Nittos and Toyos are super heavy. I'd be interested in trying them if it weren't for that. As it is, there are other tires in that category that are reviewed more highly and closer to KO2 weight.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 35” Nittos on my 4Runner and loved them (they are louder as far as road noise though). I like you wanted to keep the Raptor stock... I considered going back to the Nittos but the decrease in speed rating is what will be keeping me in the BFGs.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pick my truck up in 2 weeks and it will have 37 nitto ridge grapplers with some offset for a wider stance(not sure the actual set up yet. Leaving that up to my mechanic and tire guy). I will let you know what mpg I lost. Not what you asked but might give you some reference. The difference on my 13 going from BFG at's from 35's to 37's was about a 1.1 mpg drop. I really think 37's look much better on these trucks and have heard several time the truck was designed for 37's and at the last minute Ford changed due to BS environmental restrictions. Ill keep you posted. Hope that helps. The Nittos are heavier for sure. Honestly, I like a heavier wider base on these trucks for off roading and overall safety from a taller and wider footprint.

---------- Post added at 08:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Added info. BFG AT's are not true 37's. They are a little smaller so there will be little trimming needed as opposed to the Nitto 37's. Ill have to also let you know how much trimming we do to fit the 37's. I did get icons on the front to adjust for the 37's. On my 13 I just went to mid perch and did light pinch weld and well trimming.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...have heard several time the truck was designed for 37's and at the last minute Ford changed due to BS environmental restrictions.

Considering trimming and or different offset wheels are required to get 37's to fit, the notion that it was designed for 37's seems like nothing more than rumor.

I do agree it looks better with 37's though.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 35” Ridge Grappler and they are a much better tire than the BFG in every scenario thus far, 7k miles. Only a touch louder than the KO2. I live in the Midwest so no Baja for me:(

I had to rebalance my KO2 every tire rotation and they took a ton of weight to balance. Major PIA. I would think this would be worse on a bigger tire.

Personally would take the Nitto Ridge Grappler or Toyo RT every time over the BFG in all sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed on people saying it was built for 37's, but it 100% looks better with them. It is funny when guys post pictures lie the one above where supposedly at 37 did that, but if people just do their research and use quality professionals to do stuff, they usually get it right and there are no issues. Wonder who did the mod on the above pic?

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will never go back to BFG again after I got a taste of 35s Ridge Grapplers... Awesome looking tire I read anything and everything before I bought them. Easy balance no more half a bucket of weights, slightly, very slightly louder not to even bother to mention it, awesome ride, much better handling when going through still water or in the rain, no more dry rot....