$33k for Gen 1 OR $43k for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's just pretty much wrong.

Gen 1 have better heated and cooled seats than Gen 2 trucks. Gen 2 seat backs do not cool, they actually just get hotter- just like all the 2015+ Fords.

That is incorrect information. The Gen 2 cooled/ventilated seats function perfectly fine. A TSB (15-0154) was released for 2015 F-150s to resolve a cooling issue on the seat backrests.

Otherwise, aside from the torque making bits- when it comes to actual drivetrain hardware and suspension bits- they are pretty much the same truck, despite the claimed huge improvements over a Gen 1. Same diffs, same axles, same brakes- there are truly very few changes. It's the same overall design with a different body and engine/trans essentially.

They are not even remotely close to being “pretty much the same truck”. The 12th generation F-150 (Gen 1) debuted in 2009 as a revised/updated version of the 2004-2008 model. The F-150 was all-new from the ground up for 2015, including the entire frame, body, and interior. The frame on Gen 2 Raptor is also upgraded from the frame in the standard 2015+ F-150. If you think that using the same corporate 9.75” rear axle housing makes Gen 1 and Gen 2 the same, you really have no clue. And no, the front axles shafts and brakes are not the same; they were upgraded for Gen 2. Stating your opinion is one thing, spreading false information is another.

One place Gen 2 trucks suck balls in comparison to a Gen 1 is the vents on the dash. They changed the 100% perfectly designed and functional round air vents in the Gen 1 to the angled-top, squared off crappy vents in the Gen 2- that's a huge downgrade that affects you every time it's hot or cold.

That observation is entirely subjective and not based on any actual facts. I have found the opposite to be true.

If you are tall, I'd consider that as well. I am 6'4" tall and I find my Gen 1 to have a lot more legroom and be more comfortable in general. The armrest height in the door and center console work out a lot better for me than the 15+ trucks. I could not find a comfortable position that I could drive for hours in a Gen 2 truck.

Once again, completely subjective. The facts are that the 2015+ models offer more room in every dimension.

Last edited:

_veloci_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it really in the comments, but if money is no object, just find the color you like and decide if you want the turbo v6 or the v8. You can't go wrong with either Raptor.

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since both trucks are awesome, it really comes down to personal preference. The strengths of both trucks are going to cater to the needs of different buyers.

That said, my PERSONAL preference would still be a super clean low mile gen 1 vs a higher mile gen 2, given a similar purchase price. However, gen 2 prices have been coming down, at least for 17s, which will make them very attractive to many buyers that started looking for a gen 1. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Reaction score
before I bought mine I buy cars for a living and even with that said I went and asked a few friends that are ford techs, their words were if it were me buying one I would go with the 6.2l because they all said the same thing if its taken care of its actually a more durable motor than the oil 7.3. They also said the 6.2 is more forgiving if oil changes are missed, with the eco boost which is what my wife drives just an xlt most owners now go get an oil change when the truck says so. The problem with that its around 10k miles with turbos thats asking for problems. My drag cars with turbos get an oil change every day after a race same with my 03 cobra yes they are run hard but its like 10k miles in one day. So thats why I went with the 6.2 that and I got a hell of a deal 2 of my dealer buddies have already offered me 3k over what I paid. Mine is a 2012 crew 115k miles not a speck of rust I paid just over 21 tax title done from another dealer. There are 3 2011 crews with the same miles withing 45 min of me and the lowest price one is 26500 and it shows an accident. I love the 6.2 and there are a lot of them out there with 200k miles on them, take care of them and they will hold their value especially with the v8 there are a lot of people out there that dont think the v6 can do what a v8 can. I was one of them until we got my wifes truck with the 2.7l eco boost and pulled my 28ft enclosed trailer with my cobra in it and that little motor is amazing.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen 2 is a better truck in every measurable way except exhaust noise. Sorry, I don't let exhaust noise dictate how much I like a truck.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Gen 2 is a better truck in every measurable way except exhaust noise. Sorry, I don't let exhaust noise dictate how much I like a truck.
Yet, I still liked my Gen 1 more than my Gen 2. Gave the Gen 2 up fairly quickly for a TRX, but I am back with a Gen 3.