$33k for Gen 1 OR $43k for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMB063

Reaction score
Here we go...GEN 1 vs GEN 2...
What's up guys! I have been a long time lurker of this group - I've posted a few times and interacted with a handful of you, but don't own a Raptor...yet. I would like some input on deciding between Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is not your typical Gen 1 vs Gen 2 debate. I have very specific things I am looking for and I would like your input. I know the Gen 2 is newer and better specs, but considering the price, I am looking for some feedback.
The Gen 1 criteria:
  • 2013-14 SCREW
  • 100k miles or less
  • 1-2 owners
  • 802A, most options
  • Red, White, or Blue
Budget around $30k for a truck like this, maybe $34k for a clean example. I love the 6.2 because I love V8s. Most of the cars I've owned are V8s. I think for the price, this is a great truck. I've spent hours trying to understand the reliability of the Gen 1 and overall they seem very solid. I am looking for something I can drive everyday and I won't have to worry about. I am also happy to wrench as needed, I usually do most of the maintenance on my vehicles myself. Through searching for Gen 1s, I realized that the 2017s have come down enough in price that I could grab one. I began the search and have come up with the following.
Gen 2 criteria:
  • 2017 SCREW
  • 100k miles or less
  • 1-2 owners
  • 802A, most options ideally
  • Avalanche, Red, White
It seems that a spec like this could be found in the $42k-$45k range. I realize this is about $10k more than a Gen 1, but it's a lot newer. The goal of the truck will be daily driver and to be honest, I don't have plans to do a ton of off roading in it. I had a Jeep I took off road and it was fun, but I just liked how stress free it was to own a big vehicle with large tires and excellent ground clearance. So my issue is, I want a newer reliable vehicle I can drive everyday. Would spending another $10k be worth it if I can find a good specked Gen 2? I am not normally worried about tech because I currently own 3 old BMWs haha, but the Gen 2 really appeals to me. I am not as confident on reliability of the Gen 2 because they haven't been around as long. The trend also seems that the Gen 1 is more reliable than the Gen 2 due to different engine and technology. That's more input I would like too. Please let me know your thoughts guys!

Raptorrunner2019

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend to drive both and see what you will prefer on a daily basis. To me, the Gen 2 is a much better daily driver than gen 1. Lighter feeling, better handling, better shocks. I also drive a 19, and if you don't care about the electronics, you can probably get a 19 around that price... It just won't be fully optioned. It will have the live valve shocks, which may or may not be a plus for you. I also think you can get a decent 13-14 for less than 34k as well though. Good luck with your search.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I saw you post this on FB as well, but I'll chime in again. Full disclosure I only have the Gen 2 perspective.

Gen 2 is a very easy truck to live with and daily drive. It does feel silly in parking lots or parking garages but you'll get used to it. The level of tech and features you get on a Gen 2 will far surpass the Gen 1 (heated/cooled seats, BSM, ACC, 360 cameras, infotainment, etc.).

For a daily I'd consider gas milage as well, I'm getting 17mpg on a '20 daily driving and I go WOT a few times each time I drive it. I've seen Gen 1's get single digit MPGs so if that's a concern, win Gen 2.

I would also consider future resale, in which case you're looking at 4-7 years difference in age which can drastically alter what your truck might be worth when it comes time to move on.

If you can get a CPO Gen 2 you'll also get some piece of mind with a warranty from the dealer. There's a forum on here where Gen 2 owners are already pushing 100k and going strong.

Good luck with your search!

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m slowly picking my way through Gen 1’s and have been for the last 2 months or so. With that said my opinion may not be the most valid as I’m not an owner yet. However; what it came down to for me was the long term.

For me, this truck will be a long term purchase as my personal truck. The truck I purchase will not be daily driven as I have a company truck. It will be driven 1-2 times a week, taken out of town on the weekends to travel and hunt out of and also be the trail toy. Because of this, the proven V8 sales me for the long term which is what my Raptor will be for me. I had a ‘15 F-150 with a 3.5L EB and the truck itself was put to its limits almost every week I owned it basically. I put somewhere around 100K miles on that engine in roughly 19 months and I only ever had one issue that could have left me stranded, but still did not. It was phenomenal. I also was very, very strict on maintenance. That said, I’d pick the 6.2 over the 3.5 for long term use.

When it comes to tech, it isn’t the tipping point for me. I don’t have to have BLIS or the 360 camera. Is it cool? Sure! But I want to limit electronics and items that can fail on me. Again, long term purchase and I do not want to be get hit with $300 here and $500 there for parts 4-5 years from now on items that I can do without.

With that said, there are certain aspects on quality & design that I feel Ford skips on the Gen 2 & their newer vehicles. Value Engineering some items (plastic oil pan comes to mind) on a $65K-78K MSRP truck is a little bit ridiculous to me and creates weak points that I can’t afford to have fail when I’m in the hills for 3-5 days at a time on a hunt. For a daily driven truck that’s in town, getting stranded may not be an issue but having little items fail can be a headache.

I am also more of a ‘truck’ guy and I want it to feel like a truck with a solidified and predictable ride on and off-road. If I wanted the sporty feel, I’d go buy a mustang. When it comes to creature comforts, the Gen 1 has enough for me. I haven’t owned and probably won’t own a BMW or Mercedes unless it’s for the wife at some point and in all honesty my platinum F-150 I drive for work has everything and then some that I’ve seen most luxury German vehicles have.

Just my thoughts and what got me to where I’m at in the decision process. That said, short term ownership (2, MAYBE 3 years) a Gen 2 with an extended warranty would be cool. Anything beyond that amount of time as it pertains to ownership Gen 1, upgrade to Sync 3 and drive it.

Good luck!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Full disclosure I only have the Gen 2 perspective.

The level of tech and features you get on a Gen 2 will far surpass the Gen 1 (heated/cooled seats, BSM, ACC, 360 cameras, infotainment, etc.).

That's just pretty much wrong.

Gen 1 have better heated and cooled seats than Gen 2 trucks. Gen 2 seat backs do not cool, they actually just get hotter- just like all the 2015+ Fords.

I have front and rear cams, no 360 tho- so yea, I guess if you can't park- there's an advantage for you. At least half of the Gen 2s weren't fully loaded with ACC and all that crap anyways.

I have Sync 2 with all the same capabilities as Sync 3, minus Android Auto. I have music on a thumbdrive, and my truck has Nav, so AA does nothing for me. I can use whatever background I want, and besides just the background- it's way more visually pleasing than the Sync 3 stuff. We have both in multiple vehicles and Sync 3 is totally MEH visually.

OP- what it comes down to is this- Gen 2 trucks are newer. They have electric power steering, which most people think is nice because it requires little to no effort to steer. They also have newer rubber parts in the control arms, etc which will make it bit quieter and smoother. Otherwise, aside from the torque making bits- when it comes to actual drivetrain hardware and suspension bits- they are pretty much the same truck, despite the claimed huge improvements over a Gen 1. Same diffs, same axles, same brakes- there are truly very few changes. It's the same overall design with a different body and engine/trans essentially.

One place Gen 2 trucks suck balls in comparison to a Gen 1 is the vents on the dash. They changed the 100% perfectly designed and functional round air vents in the Gen 1 to the angled-top, squared off crappy vents in the Gen 2- that's a huge downgrade that affects you every time it's hot or cold.

If you are tall, I'd consider that as well. I am 6'4" tall and I find my Gen 1 to have a lot more legroom and be more comfortable in general. The armrest height in the door and center console work out a lot better for me than the 15+ trucks. I could not find a comfortable position that I could drive for hours in a Gen 2 truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BMB063

Reaction score
I think I saw you post this on FB as well, but I'll chime in again. Full disclosure I only have the Gen 2 perspective.

Gen 2 is a very easy truck to live with and daily drive. It does feel silly in parking lots or parking garages but you'll get used to it. The level of tech and features you get on a Gen 2 will far surpass the Gen 1 (heated/cooled seats, BSM, ACC, 360 cameras, infotainment, etc.).

For a daily I'd consider gas milage as well, I'm getting 17mpg on a '20 daily driving and I go WOT a few times each time I drive it. I've seen Gen 1's get single digit MPGs so if that's a concern, win Gen 2.

I would also consider future resale, in which case you're looking at 4-7 years difference in age which can drastically alter what your truck might be worth when it comes time to move on.

If you can get a CPO Gen 2 you'll also get some piece of mind with a warranty from the dealer. There's a forum on here where Gen 2 owners are already pushing 100k and going strong.

Good luck with your search!

Your feedback is appreciated! What you're saying makes sense and many reasons I would go Gen 2 over Gen 1. I just honestly want a newer vehicle in general, but wanted to make sure the Gen 2s were still pretty reliable. It sounds like Gen 2 would be a great choice if I make sure all the cards play out, but it also seems that the Gen 2s may not be as reliable as the first gen trucks. It seems with the newer tech and Ecoboost, it has more maintenance that will be needed. I don't drive a ton so MPG isn't a huge deal to me. I am buying a massive truck I am ready to commit to the gas station as my second home haha.

Regarding resale...it seems like the depreciation on Gen 2 is far greater of a threat than on a Gen 1 considering that the Gen 1s have already had so much time to depreciate. They seem to be holding $25k-$38k depending on spec/condition. If I buy a Gen 2 truck for $43k, theres a good chance in 4-5 years it's worth $33k. Buying a Gen 1 for $33k I don't see it being $23k, but I am just guessing here. Regardless of all this, I think I would prefer a Gen 2 if I could swing it, but $10k more is still significant. Good info man.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
In addition to all that was already said (and if I missed a quote or restated sorry for that) mostly all in as EricM opined...what I was looking for was the long game and the extra special that a 2014 has being the last of the GEN 1...Mine had everything I was looking for as I had mentioned when I started posting on the FRF...Lastly, as you hinted already in a way...if you do a spreadsheet, cost benefit analysis and factor in positives vs negatives....the GEN 1 wins in the end. For me I will still keep my GEN 1 and only buy another if it were a dream GEN3 with a sup'd up V8...Nuff Said...