3 years, 11 months, and 46,132 miles I finally get Cam Phaser problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well--I joined the Cool Kids Club. Developed the cam phaser rattle in my '19 at 41k miles on cold start up about 4 weeks ago, then noticed it intermittently cranking longer on cold start. Took it to the dealer and they were cool. Ordered parts and put me in line. They have a 3-4 week wait for this, doing them every day. Not worried about the cam phaser replacement but after reading this I am concerned about the longer cranking for 5-6 seconds. Service Writer didn't seem too concernced. Thoughts?
There’s no “longer crank” related to the phaser replacement or calibration update. In fact my ‘19 exhibited a cold start extended crank more when it was new than it does now.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well--I joined the Cool Kids Club. Developed the cam phaser rattle in my '19 at 41k miles on cold start up about 4 weeks ago, then noticed it intermittently cranking longer on cold start. Took it to the dealer and they were cool. Ordered parts and put me in line. They have a 3-4 week wait for this, doing them every day. Not worried about the cam phaser replacement but after reading this I am concerned about the longer cranking for 5-6 seconds. Service Writer didn't seem too concernced. Thoughts?
Some times the fuel bleeds down and the longer crank could be and oring allowing the gas the bleed back into the tank?!

slingshot60

Reaction score
Update: Got the cam phaser R&R last week--no more mid 90's Powerstroke diesel clattering for 2-3 seconds on startup. Interestingly enough the prolonged cranking issue seems to have stopped? Not sure why. Like my grandfather the old rancher used to say: "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"! Just accept it and go on.