3 years, 11 months, and 46,132 miles I finally get Cam Phaser problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if I should be pissed or what....but I made my appointment 4 full weeks out. dropped my truck off 1 day before my appointment......and it has now sat untouched for 7 days at the dealer.

GPS shows it at the back of their lot, and my ford app shows no start since last Wednesday.

I call the shop and they just say "we are busy"....not even I'm sorry.

Every shop is booked...I know camphasers sucks as a job to do...but customer service at ford is dead.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I don't know if I should be pissed or what....but I made my appointment 4 full weeks out. dropped my truck off 1 day before my appointment......and it has now sat untouched for 7 days at the dealer.

GPS shows it at the back of their lot, and my ford app shows no start since last Wednesday.

I call the shop and they just say "we are busy"....not even I'm sorry.

Every shop is booked...I know camphasers sucks as a job to do...but customer service at ford is dead.
It's typical, same thing happened to me. It does seem they are dancing as fast as they can so, I am not terribly angry.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense for them to have your truck at the shop sitting if they are busy. If they were not ready to work on your truck, then they shouldn’t have said to bring it in.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I was just fortunate that Jack Schmitt Ford in Collinsville always had my Focus ST in and out when they had the parts in to fix what was needed to be fixed.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mother F'er

So they started on my truck....didnt call me to tell me what they were doing.....

This is an issue because I told the service guy I wanted new spark plugs since they had the entire top of the motor torn apart....

guy calls me to tell me the truck is done....

I ask about the spark plugs......"uhhhhhh, no we didn't do that". I told them to of that when I dropped it off......

I told them...replace the plugs and I am not paying for labor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mother F'er

So they started on my truck....didnt call me to tell me what they were doing.....

This is an issue because I told the service guy I wanted new spark plugs since they had the entire top of the motor torn apart....

guy calls me to tell me the truck is done....

I ask about the spark plugs......"uhhhhhh, no we didn't do that". I told them to of that when I dropped it off......

I told them...replace the plugs and I am not paying for labor.
Spark plugs are not part of the procedure to replace cam phasers, so the labor would be extra.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Spark plugs are not part of the procedure to replace cam phasers, so the labor would be extra.
no....

They have to remove the spark plugs to do the cam phasers.....when they take those out....I just want them to put new ones back in @ 48,ooo miles. I should not have to pay labor to put new ones in vs putting the old ones back in.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
no....

They have to remove the spark plugs to do the cam phasers.....when they take those out....I just want them to put new ones back in @ 48,ooo miles. I should not have to pay labor to put new ones in vs putting the old ones back in.
Seems reasonable. Did they put the spark plug comments on the paperwork that you left with when dropping off the truck? If not, I'd say you are SOL unless they decide to do it out of the kindness of their heart.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no....

Really? I didn't know that.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems reasonable. Did they put the spark plug comments on the paperwork that you left with when dropping off the truck? If not, I'd say you are SOL unless they decide to do it out of the kindness of their heart.
Service advisor was cool...owned up to his mistake as he handed it written down, but didn't put it on the WO. He said labor was only 1.25 hrs for plugs, so he ate it.

Got the truck back. 36 mile drive home was all good. Inspection of engine bay looks good. Just need to monitor it.

One positive note. The truck used to have a "noise" when putting in reverse, or starting from a stop. That's not there anymore. I think my cab was just loose on its mounts. Seams like when they tightened the cab down it fixed that.