GEN 2 3 Problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
... and they're all my fault. Been chasing issue #1 for a while now and issues #2 & #3 just popped up as I was trying to get an alignment and state inspection done today.

*Disclaimer* Mods are pay to play^2 meaning if you're not willing to deal with the consequences of your mods hurting your truck then don't mod. This truck is my hobby and I have really enjoyed all the effort I've spent researching and discussing mods and also enjoy the results. I take responsibility for any issues that come from modifying out of OEM spec however these issues are

Issue #1: Squeaky rear leafs.

A muddy trail day has my truck sounding like a 90 year old geriatric attempting to get out of bed.

I've sprayed out the leafs 3x now and the squeaking comes right back in a day. Thinking about hitting it with some Amsoil HDMP or possibly silicone lubricant. It's driving me nuts and a little embarrassing driving it at the moment.

Issue #2: Cupping tires
I've been trying to track down a slight steering vibration I get above 40mph, led me to try to get an alignment done.... dumb that I didn't catch this earlier, but my KO2's have some pretty severe cupping noticed by the tire shop. They measured it at 7/32nds on front and 10/32nds on the rear. This explains the vibrations but gives me more questions. While I do have -12 offset wheels on, they have only been on the truck for the last 6k miles. Additionally, I had the tires rotated when the new wheels were installed which is to say, the rear tires @10/32 were excessively wearing while on OEM beadlocks. Doing a quick search I'm seeing a lot of Toyota bros running into this problem and some Raptor guys too. Wondering if anyone has seen this sort of excessive wear. Tire shop guy had nothing but bad things to say about KO2's and said he's seen that exact same thing on other vehicles, I'm also a little grumpy that I've blown through a set 2-3x faster than I expected, any thoughts?

Issue #3: Low CCA on stock battery

During my state required inspection, the shop gave me a readout that my battery is producing 364/800 CCA and reading 12.4V and kindly asked if I wanted them to replace it. My BS alarm went off initially, the battery is less than a year old and the truck has 16,7XX miles. I've been schooled by the illustrious FTO on how the truck is constantly monitoring the battery charge and smartly adjusts the state of charge. Is this a case where the truck is 'smarter' than the test or is there something else going on here? For reference, I did tune the truck and if the battery was sacrificed during multiple revisions then so be it but it also seems excessively fast.

TIA for any/all responses, love this truck and just want it running great again.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Issue #1: Squeaky rear leafs.
A muddy trail day has my truck sounding like a 90 year old geriatric attempting to get out of bed.

I got nothin’ we’re not popping down to the theater, opera or headed to a ball, we’re hooning. afterwards, there’s going to be some additional noises. hopefully not too many and no missing parts.

Issue #2: Cupping tires
I've been trying to track down a slight steering vibration I get above 40mph, led me to try to get an alignment done.... dumb that I didn't catch this earlier, but my KO2's have some pretty severe cupping noticed by the tire shop. They measured it at 7/32nds on front and 10/32nds on the rear. This explains the vibrations but gives me more questions. While I do have -12 offset wheels on, they have only been on the truck for the last 6k miles. Additionally, I had the tires rotated when the new wheels were installed which is to say, the rear tires @10/32 were excessively wearing while on OEM beadlocks. Doing a quick search I'm seeing a lot of Toyota bros running into this problem and some Raptor guys too. Wondering if anyone has seen this sort of excessive wear. Tire shop guy had nothing but bad things to say about KO2's and said he's seen that exact same thing on other vehicles, I'm also a little grumpy that I've blown through a set 2-3x faster than I expected, any thoughts?

how many total miles on the trucks and tires? I’ve got some uneven wear, but also gotten good life out of the tires too. I’m not doing burnouts on a regular basis, but I’m not likely to be holding up traffic or get passed regularly. I have seen the inside of the fronts get chewed up pretty good and also the inside of the tires have worn much faster. I was late to adopt lower pressures in the KO2’s and even then dropped pressure very slowly over time.

I’m running about 36F / 33R give or take now and still stock wheels - but working on it. I definitely notice a little less compliance, traction, more NVH, but the tires are not long for this world. The inside wear is weird - it’s every other tread block, worn on the rear of the block. Local stealership told me they have seen it in some form on every Rap they have seen. Now, that could be 1 or 100 or somewhere in between, who knows. A few other users here have reported this. I have to admit, I have not rotated my tires as diligently as I should have, going the full service interval and that’s probably way too long. I think probably 5k miles is too long.

I don’t know... I’m betting other tires are going to suffer the same fate but you won’t know for a long time and then you’ll be cursing whatever the next tire is. All in all the KO2’s have been pretty good to me.

Issue #3: Low CCA on stock battery
During my state required inspection, the shop gave me a readout that my battery is producing 364/800 CCA and reading 12.4V and kindly asked if I wanted them to replace it. My BS alarm went off initially, the battery is less than a year old and the truck has 16,7XX miles. I've been schooled by the illustrious FTO on how the truck is constantly monitoring the battery charge and smartly adjusts the state of charge

do you have any for scan mods disabling or interfering with the BMS? You should be able to independently validate or invalidate this.

-- ok You’ve got 16.75k miles - and you have shagged a set of KO2s? WHAT is your use case? Are you a binary throttle operating, late braking, prius driver panicking off road hero or something?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1) make sure you jack the frame up in the rear and let the springs hang freely to wash them well, let them dry and then try fluid film or what have you.

2) I bet whoever is doing your tire rotations is going front to back and not rotating them properly. If the back ones are better than the front now, I would swap those around and then rotate properly every 5000k, or every oil change, now that they are ruined, normally I do every 2nd oil change or twice a year at least.

3) Get the battery tested somewhere else, or check your battery terminals to make sure they are clean first. Batteries can go after a year, but that's very rare and usually from severe abuse.

4) good luck.

OP
OP
Braaaaptor

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many total miles on the trucks and tires? I’ve got some uneven wear, but also gotten good life out of the tires too. I’m not doing burnouts on a regular basis, but I’m not likely to be holding up traffic or get passed regularly. I have seen the inside of the fronts get chewed up pretty good and also the inside of the tires have worn much faster. I was late to adopt lower pressures in the KO2’s and even then dropped pressure very slowly over time.

I’m running about 36F / 33R give or take now and still stock wheels - but working on it. I definitely notice a little less compliance, traction, more NVH, but the tires are not long for this world. The inside wear is weird - it’s every other tread block, worn on the rear of the block. Local stealership told me they have seen it in some form on every Rap they have seen. Now, that could be 1 or 100 or somewhere in between, who knows. A few other users here have reported this. I have to admit, I have not rotated my tires as diligently as I should have, going the full service interval and that’s probably way too long. I think probably 5k miles is too long.

16,700 miles on the truck so far. I'm in the 34F/32R pressure gang, I'll snap some pictures in the morning but the cupping is on every other tread block, easily felt to the touch. Tire guy also said he sees it on Raps w/ KO2's. I am also tardy on the rotations... I went 10k before my first one and was just planning on doing 10k intervals like every other car I've owned.

I don’t know... I’m betting other tires are going to suffer the same fate but you won’t know for a long time and then you’ll be cursing whatever the next tire is. All in all the KO2’s have been pretty good to me.

So far I've really enjoyed KO2's too, pushing them hard at RA made me a believer but this is strange to say the least.

do you have any for scan mods disabling or interfering with the BMS? You should be able to independently validate or invalidate this

Never touched any BMS interfering forscan mods, FTO gifted us with the knowledge not to, I stuck with DRL mod, double honk, Lincoln mirrors, doo doo doo delete.

-- ok You’ve got 16.75k miles - and you have shagged a set of KO2s? WHAT is your use case? Are you a binary throttle operating, late braking, prius driver panicking off road hero or something?

I'd say my driving style is 'spirited', I definitely enjoy the truck when I'm on the road by myself, it's my DD and sees about 1-2 days offroad/month. I wouldn't put myself into the extreme use case category by any stretch.

Now if I treated my truck like blue #2 at RA, that'd explain everything but I'm a "take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you" kind of guy.

OP
OP
Braaaaptor

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) make sure you jack the frame up in the rear and let the springs hang freely to wash them well, let them dry and then try fluid film or what have you.

Haven't tried that yet, will definitely give it a go, thanks!

2) I bet whoever is doing your tire rotations is going front to back and not rotating them properly. If the back ones are better than the front now, I would swap those around and then rotate properly every 5000k, or every oil change, now that they are ruined, normally I do every 2nd oil change or twice a year at least.

Occam's razor, I think you're onto something, when I had my wheels installed I also had them do a rotation and change the spare wheel out. It's really possible they just rotated F to R and didn't cross them over in their confusion. Big F.

3) Get the battery tested somewhere else, or check your battery terminals to make sure they are clean first. Batteries can go after a year, but that's very rare and usually from severe abuse.

Grew up in Alberta, definitely saw some abused batteries, comparatively this battery has had a great life, garage kept, mild-ish climate.

4) good luck.

You got any of those strange brews laying around? Could use one after today!