2kW Power as a Stand Alone Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Witt458

Reaction score
When I went to build my truck yesterday, the B&P appears to allow the 2kW Pro Power on board as a stand alone option. However, when I went to add it the website wants me to add the tech package (which I do not want). Asked my dealer about it and they were clueless, and said they were going to contact their Ford Rep. Wanted to get y'alls opinion on whether or not the option is even worth it, and if anyone has been able to order it without ordering the tech package.

Side note: Due to others negative experiences with the power tailgate and tailgate step and my lack of use for it, I decided against getting the package. Just think I want the 2kW power.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is Gen3 Raptor fail #12 at this point. I was stoked to get a new Raptor about a year ago. Then the talk of 37" tires started and I was super stoked. Now I have to get a loaded truck with a blue interior that costs over $80,000 to get my factory 37s. Oh, and the power and torque are the same as before despite the TRX doling out a vicious bitch slap to Ford. Sorry Ford, if you want $80K for the truck, it needs a V8.

I agree on the 2kW power option, it should be stand alone and not married to a stupid power tailgate that will break in 2 years.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is Gen3 Raptor fail #12 at this point. I was stoked to get a new Raptor about a year ago. Then the talk of 37" tires started and I was super stoked. Now I have to get a loaded truck with a blue interior that costs over $80,000 to get my factory 37s. Oh, and the power and torque are the same as before despite the TRX doling out a vicious bitch slap to Ford. Sorry Ford, if you want $80K for the truck, it needs a V8.

I agree on the 2kW power option, it should be stand alone and not married to a stupid power tailgate that will break in 2 years.
This forum is so damn negative about this truck. If you don't like the hp or torque, wait for the Raptor R. Keep your Gen 1 or 2 or whatever you have. The 2kW discussion is constructive and helpful. Bitching and crying about 450 HP is not. I get it, we all wish that the 2021 Raptor had more HP than the TRX. Let's keep beating this dead horse.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not a Raptor fanboy here. I don't have a Gen 1 or 2 at this time, but I have spent time in both over the years. I think the multiple failings of Ford with both the Bronco launch and now this Raptor are relevant. It seems the company is not firing on all cylinders. Particularly marketing, which is a disaster on the website front and production (see Bronco hardtop debacle). I know this discussion started with the onboard power option but the whole optioning/constraints of this truck is a relevant issue. Show me another manufacturer that has, in the last decade, released a new generation of a vehicle with performance pretensions without adding more power.

WOTRaptor

Reaction score
There is so much negativity about this truck on this forum. The Raptor is the only legit Baja-capable truck available from the factory on the market. Does it need more HP or torque? If you want a numbers truck, then yes. If you want the best off-road capable truck, then no. The suspension, interior, and engine cooling upgrades are all significant improvements from an already excellent gen 2 platform. Torque and horsepower delivery have been adjusted in an already excellent engine. Couple that with the other upgrades I mentioned and the gen 3 is a truck that warrants a lot more respect than it’s currently getting.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is so much negativity about this truck on this forum. The Raptor is the only legit Baja-capable truck available from the factory on the market. Does it need more HP or torque? If you want a numbers truck, then yes. If you want the best off-road capable truck, then no. The suspension, interior, and engine cooling upgrades are all significant improvements from an already excellent gen 2 platform. Torque and horsepower delivery have been adjusted in an already excellent engine. Couple that with the other upgrades I mentioned and the gen 3 is a truck that warrants a lot more respect than it’s currently getting.
I must've missed that, you mentioned cooling upgrade. Did ford do something different with the intercooler?

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just had a smaller power outage (4+hours) here due to a storm and it got me thinking...

What can you really power with the 2kW pro power onboard? I've seen lots of videos on the hybrid/7.2kW power but, given that most of us will get these trucks closer to winter what can 2kW really power?

I'd be looking to power the essentials:
2 Refrigerators (standard home size - noncommercial)
4 Outlets for charging (laptop, tablets, lights, Internet modem, Router)
1 Waterheater (maybe?)

Are any of you thinking about placing an inlet box outside where you park the Raptor for just such emergencies? I'm debating it and wanted to get some thoughts.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the quick math and you can certainly run the main fridge, won't be able to get 2. Standard fridges are between 800-1200 watts. You could have room left over for 200-300 watts for tv and some room left over to charge devices. I definitely don't think it could handle a water heater? I mentioned it in the other post but this is a very good reason I went with the power pro, it'll get us by for a couple hours to re-chill a fridge, and run devices for a few hours or a day or 2. If we could have got the 7.2kw then you might have been able to run an inlet box but unfortunately probably not worth it with the 2.0

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and link! I'm guessing my math is wrong, I was figuring with an inlet box or transfer switch I could get the fridges started/running separately instead of all at once. Start fridge 1, let it run for 5-10 mins; start fridge 2; then rest of the outlets.

Typical Starting wattage of a fridge - ~1200 watts
Typical Running wattage of a fridge - ~200 watts

I'm not the greatest with electricity and just needed some real-world info and I think I got it. Looks like I'll invest in some good long extension cords and deal with a fridge and some small power items. Thanks!

Who knows? Maybe someone will come up with a way to add the 7.2kW batteries to the raptor (while sacrificing some bed space)