22’ Black 37 Raptor vs. XPEL Stealth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CityHunter

Reaction score
On the contrary it should be a major concern anytime a part is removed. On many cars and trucks there are pieces such as door handles, head/tail lights, grille, side mirrors ..etc that need to be removed to do the job thoroughly. On the Raptor I would think the fenders at the least would need to come off. Then comes in question the use of a razorblade all around the truck. Any slip by the installer can lead to one or many cuts through the paint and depending how deep can lead to more issues down the road when you involve trapped moisture and/or salt and road chemicals.
Anytime a hand touches your truck there is a chance for damage so to say someone installing the film will care to or know how to properly install or adjust body components is a far stretch to say the least.
These parts are designed to be relatively easily removed and affixed. Like any mod, it boils down to installer skill and reputation. Have it performed by a reputable shop and review the work. It’s very unlikely you’ll get rattles from one of those external pieces, and even if you did, it could be easily resolved with a bit of checking (unlike rattles behind the dash, or within the sunroof, for example)

ejholt

Reaction score
I figured I would share a few Raptor projects a friend of mine and I have going. Both are black 37 trucks with XPEL and IGL Kenzo ceramic coating to start. One of the trucks is being protected with XPEL stealth and the other in the clear XPEL.

Wheels - Volk TE37XT M-spec 18x9 -1 is the Raptor set up with these
Tires - 37” Open Country
Suspension - RPG

I am leaning towards having both trucks tuned by @GooseTuned as he seems to be the best Raptor tuner in the game.

Here are a few pics of the progress so far of the Stealth. It should be ready in a few days. This is a brand new truck driven from the dealership right to the XPEL boys. I will update with the finished product once completed.
View attachment 382609

View attachment 382610

View attachment 382611
Looks Great!! Do you have any before & after on the XPEL Stealth? I'd like to see how Stealth changes the color of the truck. I've been thinking about XPEL and/or going with a wrap all together on my Gen2. What was the cost of the Stealth? Thanks!

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These parts are designed to be relatively easily removed and affixed. Like any mod, it boils down to installer skill and reputation. Have it performed by a reputable shop and review the work. It’s very unlikely you’ll get rattles from one of those external pieces, and even if you did, it could be easily resolved with a bit of checking (unlike rattles behind the dash, or within the sunroof, for example)
Have you worked on any vehicle or even toys that snap together? The parts are made of plastic and the rivets in many cases are meant to be one time use. Components can flex and stretch which will make the fitment the second and third time around different than the first.
That still doesn’t address the razor blade.

dbonzo

Reaction score
Had my black ‘22 for not even a week and got a couple chips. Took it to my detail shop and had the xpel ppf on the front and it’s a game changer. Stinks I had some chips but they threw some touch up paint and can’t even tell. Ppf on black is a must. Glad I did it, debated about doing the whole truck but just went with the front. Desert pinstripes adds some character I suppose.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XPEL is not for me, but that looks awesome and like a first rate installation which is most important. Nice trucks!

CityHunter

Reaction score
Have you worked on any vehicle or even toys that snap together? The parts are made of plastic and the rivets in many cases are meant to be one time use. Components can flex and stretch which will make the fitment the second and third time around different than the first.
That still doesn’t address the razor blade.
Hah - yea, I’ve torn multiple vehicles down to bare metal — interior and exterior. It’s really not as big of a deal as you’re making it out to be. In my case, it’s been for sound deadening projects - just a hobbyist in that regard. You quickly gain a sense of how to put just enough pressure on the tab/clip points to pop things out without issue — I’m sure quality shops have this down to a science. These parts have enough flexibility designed into them to be removed many times if needed. I’ve never encountered rivets on trim pieces, but have dealt with them when replacing window regulators — just punch out the rivet and make a new one when setting the part back in place.

Any shop leaving razor blade cuts should correct those before completing the job - that’s not an acceptable installation. Always check the work before driving off.

CityHunter

Reaction score
Had my black ‘22 for not even a week and got a couple chips. Took it to my detail shop and had the xpel ppf on the front and it’s a game changer. Stinks I had some chips but they threw some touch up paint and can’t even tell. Ppf on black is a must. Glad I did it, debated about doing the whole truck but just went with the front. Desert pinstripes adds some character I suppose.

Covering just the front 1/3 is definitely a solid call - most bang for your buck there. If I’m doing just clear XPEL, that’s often the approach I take. Ceramic the rest and call it good.

dbonzo

Reaction score
Covering just the front 1/3 is definitely a solid call - most bang for your buck there. If I’m doing just clear XPEL, that’s often the approach I take. Ceramic the rest and call it good.
Yup, exactly what I did. Ceramic just went on a couple days ago. Black looks awesome but man does everything show!

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hah - yea, I’ve torn multiple vehicles down to bare metal — interior and exterior. It’s really not as big of a deal as you’re making it out to be. In my case, it’s been for sound deadening projects - just a hobbyist in that regard. You quickly gain a sense of how to put just enough pressure on the tab/clip points to pop things out without issue — I’m sure quality shops have this down to a science. These parts have enough flexibility designed into them to be removed many times if needed. I’ve never encountered rivets on trim pieces, but have dealt with them when replacing window regulators — just punch out the rivet and make a new one when setting the part back in place.

Any shop leaving razor blade cuts should correct those before completing the job - that’s not an acceptable installation. Always check the work before driving off.
There’s really more to it than just finesse. If you want something to be perfect you install it correctly the first time and leave it alone.
Correct a razor blade cut? Come on guy. I know you’re not going to budge from your point of view but you’re tottering on ridiculous. You won’t see these issues for months if not years done the road. In most cases the film edge or the film itself will cover it.
Bottom line the less people that touch a body panel the better.