21B10 Cam Phaser PCM Update Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been going back and reading these old threads for personal knowledge. None of this is surprising to me based on what I have learned from my truck and friends trucks. I believe the new cal was just to try to mask how noticeable the issue is, not to really affect logevity of the hardware. You can't solve everything with software if the hardware isn't up to the duty cycle. I know some will disagree but I've also seen well maintained trucks with the shutter as you guys are describing.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been going back and reading these old threads for personal knowledge. None of this is surprising to me based on what I have learned from my truck and friends trucks. I believe the new cal was just to try to mask how noticeable the issue is, not to really affect logevity of the hardware. You can't solve everything with software if the hardware isn't up to the duty cycle. I know some will disagree but I've also seen well maintained trucks with the shutter as you guys are describing.
Why revive a 6 month old thread?

I’ve gone over this countless times. What you’re saying is simply not correct. Software can’t mask a cold start phaser locking pin failure noise. Nor does that have anything to do with engine shudder, which affected a small population of vehicles that had poor maintenance or were run low on oil.

Enough with the conspiracy theories.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im just curious if you have a direct line into the calibration team or whats the source of this?
It’s basic principles of VCT operation. You can’t mask a failed park mechanism with software.

The previous software would run low duty cycle near base timing, which caused wear near the lock mechanism that is very apparent upon disassembly. Monitoring VCT PIDs with the new calibration shows the change in duty cycle that keeps the phasers out of that wear threshold.