21B10 Cam Phaser PCM Update Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the PCM Update done back in February and about 2 weeks ago started have misfire issues under light to moderate acceleration and when cruising. Cruising issue is most prevalent between 25 & 45 mph and basically have all the symptoms I read about when there are issues with this update.

I wasn't having any issues before the update and lost about 1 to 1.5 mpg after update and truck seemed to be slightly down on power.

Has anyone has similar experience a considerable time after the update?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have issues they are supposed to revert back to previous version. What I read . I never got mine updated so I couldn't tell you my experience.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the PCM Update done back in February and about 2 weeks ago started have misfire issues under light to moderate acceleration and when cruising. Cruising issue is most prevalent between 25 & 45 mph and basically have all the symptoms I read about when there are issues with this update.

I wasn't having any issues before the update and lost about 1 to 1.5 mpg after update and truck seemed to be slightly down on power.

I'd take it back to the dealer you had it done at. That definitely shouldn't be happening.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Got an appointment for Wednesday. Was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience after a similar timeframe.
I did have a similar issue... I did the Cam Phasers PCM update (don't recall the exact number) and not even 2 weeks later I had to visit the stealership because of the truck having a REALLY rough idle. They performed another PCM upgrade that fixed the Cam Phasers PCM update fix, and the truck's idle went to normal. :) No other related issues since.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There is no correlation between 21B10 and misfires. Vehicles that had issues after 21B10 had those issues occur immediately, which were attributed to poor maintenance and/or running low on engine oil. That resulted in a shudder, but no DTCs of misfires.

You’ve mentioned before that the truck is tuned, why are you bringing it to the dealership? OEM diagnostics do not factor in potential issues from aftermarket calibrations. Tuned are very hard on spark plugs, start by inspecting/replacing those and re-evaluate.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Vehicles that had issues after 21B10 had those issues occur immediately, which were attributed to poor maintenance and/or running low on engine oil.
... :) Just a small correction here. I know for sure my truck wasn't running low on oil and I do keep up with truck's maintenance. When I heard about the Cam Phasers PCM update I've got it done ASAP. After the dealership performed the update, the truck manifested a rough idle almost immediately so... I went back to the dealer to get it fixed. I've been told at the time that Ford just released a second PCM fix for the Cam Phasers PCM update... So the fix for the rough idle for me was just another PCM update. :hidesbehindsofa:

OP
OP
aandrews109

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no correlation between 21B10 and misfires. Vehicles that had issues after 21B10 had those issues occur immediately, which were attributed to poor maintenance and/or running low on engine oil. That resulted in a shudder, but no DTCs of misfires.

You’ve mentioned before that the truck is tuned, why are you bringing it to the dealership? OEM diagnostics do not factor in potential issues from aftermarket calibrations. Tuned are very hard on spark plugs, start by inspecting/replacing those and re-evaluate.
The length of time between the update and the issues is the main reason I'm asking the question. Truck has been well maintained, Oil & Filer every 5K since new. Mobile One Full Synthetic & Motorcraft FL500-S. Haven't been running the tune for at least 6 month due to gas prices and making several long trips. Truck is on Factory Tune, has been for months, and was on Factory Tune when issues started. Have been trying to eliminate possible reasons for conditions, i.e. bad gas, new plugs installed (gapped @ 0.028), etc. Old plugs looked really good when removed. Driving this morning and I have subtle surging at steady speeds and misfire and loss of power under harder acceleration. It's pretty well got me stumped!

OP
OP
aandrews109

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update after taking truck to Ford Dealer.

Tech checked out and used IDS looking for misfires and found none, but he definitely could feel the surging / misfiring condition that I was experiencing.

Tech performed #21N08 Procedure, disconnected connector to Oil Pump as directed by Ford and issue went away. Returned PCM to Original and problem appears to be gone, but time will tell.

I have owned this truck since new, Oil & Filter was changed at first 1,000 miles, then 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles since. It has never been run low on oil as I am very particular about making sure fluid levels are always correct. Have run Mobil One Full Synthetic 5W-30 and Motorcraft FL500-S Filters.

I don't abuse the truck, was not having any Phaser Rattle when PCM Update was performed, and don't have any rattle now.

Interestingly enough, neither the Service Writer or the Tech seemed surprised that the issues was with the PCM Reprogram (#21B10) performed 6 months ago at 34,000 miles and truck now has over 48,000.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i had one of the flashes done several months ago to address the low end engine knocking and it has been gone for several months and probaly 10k miles, but its back now... early build 2019 53K, never tuned, stock other than FMIC and K&N drop in.. Mobil1 and motorcraft filters, and always, and i mean every time idled down for at least 60 seconds before shutting off