2024 F150 ... 2400 Less Parts... Is that supposed to be good??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the big news with the 2024 F150 is that it will have 2400 less parts than the 2023 model. See here. There's not much other news about it right now.

Every single article I've read about this (and I've read almost everything since it was announced 4 days ago) focuses on reducing cost for the new F150 production. They are reducing the number of parts by 2400 (!) to streamline production costs. It is entirely a cost-savings move from the Ford Blue CEO (Kumar Galothra).

I cannot imagine how this would produce a better vehicle. I can certainly see how it would save costs, but I also guarantee the 2024 truck will be more expensive. So yes, it will make Ford more money... but is it, in any way, a better product?

Just from this one piece of data, I am glad I bought a 2023. Maybe I'm overreacting... vehicles don't usually get worse with new generations. But 2400 parts seems like a lot of quality to cut.

Last edited:

TXRaptor37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing a link to article?
Seems odd and yes, it will def still have a higher base MSRP I’m sure than 2023

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just think of one door. The window and all of it's parts, the mirror, switches, lights, speakers, safety items, weatherstripping, mouldings.... There are a LOT of parts in a car. Ford is wise to reduce the number whenever possible.

What exactly are they defining as a "part". An actual part with a Ford part number? The unibody, is that one part? Or is that 247 parts that have been welded together? Tesla has the huge presses that stamp out whole sections of the unibody in one hit instead of needing to weld a bunch of individual pieces together. It's faster, cheaper and gives you a stronger finished part- of course you have to own the most expensive presss in the world to do it that way.

Point is, changes in the way it's physcially constructed could reduce the parts count by quite a bit, making it a better product while not taking away any features or capabilities.

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tesla has the huge presses that stamp out whole sections of the unibody in one hit instead of needing to weld a bunch of individual pieces together. It's faster, cheaper and gives you a stronger finished part- of course you have to own the most expensive presss in the world to do it that way.
This is also the reason Tesla's tend to get totalled out for minor damage that would be relatively cheap to fix on a regular vehicle. I don't know what a Tesla is like to insure, but I'd assume the insurance industry isn't willing to absorb huge losses for minor incidents for long.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is also the reason Tesla's tend to get totalled out for minor damage that would be relatively cheap to fix on a regular vehicle. I don't know what a Tesla is like to insure, but I'd assume the insurance industry isn't willing to absorb huge losses for minor incidents for long.
Same was said for repairing aluminum bodies. Plenty of guys here have no problem buying an $85K aluminum truck that tend to be totalled pretty damn easily as well.

The repairabilty is overblown- how many cars/trucks get into wreck that severe anyways?

OP
OP
C

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing a link to article?
Seems odd and yes, it will def still have a higher base MSRP I’m sure than 2023

Let's see if this works: 2024-ford-f-150-will-have-2400-fewer-parts

I don't think the forum likes me linking to other sites.. that seems to be why my original link isn't working. But a quick Google search of "Ford 2024 F150 2400" will yield you many stories.

Just think of one door. The window and all of it's parts, the mirror, switches, lights, speakers, safety items, weatherstripping, mouldings.... There are a LOT of parts in a car. Ford is wise to reduce the number whenever possible.

What exactly are they defining as a "part". An actual part with a Ford part number? The unibody, is that one part? Or is that 247 parts that have been welded together? Tesla has the huge presses that stamp out whole sections of the unibody in one hit instead of needing to weld a bunch of individual pieces together. It's faster, cheaper and gives you a stronger finished part- of course you have to own the most expensive presss in the world to do it that way.

Point is, changes in the way it's physcially constructed could reduce the parts count by quite a bit, making it a better product while not taking away any features or capabilities.

Not sure I can agree with this. It is made clear by the FordBlue CEO and every article that this is strictly a cost-cutting move. There is no "better product" or "improved quality" in any of the media. 2400 parts is a lot, no matter how you look at it. I think we will see the number of trims and options drop drastically -- and that I can deal with.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my state we are paying huuuge premiums due to offset the cost of totaling out battery cars when they get in mild to Moderate fender bender/accidents…