2023 Torsen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ah. Could you please describe the process? How much stuff did you have to remove

I may just buy the whole axle assembly with the Torsen in it and swap this bitch out myself.
There's no way to remove the diff from the housing while it's on the truck without pulling both axles out, so you've got to pull off the wheel, brakes, shock, swaybar, steering tie rod, upper control arm bolt, & abs sensor just to pull out the axle from the diff. Then, the front driveshaft has to be disconnected, the skidplate, a crossmember, the diff vent tube, the the 3 bolts that secure the housing to the frame. And one of those pinches the steering joint when you remove it. Then, you've got an 80lb housing to deal with. 20220503_151424.jpg

Zybane

Reaction score
There's no way to remove the diff from the housing while it's on the truck without pulling both axles out, so you've got to pull off the wheel, brakes, shock, swaybar, steering tie rod, upper control arm bolt, & abs sensor just to pull out the axle from the diff. Then, the front driveshaft has to be disconnected, the skidplate, a crossmember, the diff vent tube, the the 3 bolts that secure the housing to the frame. And one of those pinches the steering joint when you remove it. Then, you've got an 80lb housing to deal with. View attachment 392628

Great info, thanks. Looks do-able. You didn't have to remove the steering rack eh? When I looked under there, appears to be kinda close to the diff.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The steering makes it tougher to reach everything, but you can get to it from under the hood. 20220921_175131.jpgI did have to make up a tool to safely drive the P-side axle back in without damaging it.

pnwobrigade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devils advocate here...I get the rather annoying sense of paid for it but didn't get it attitude. However, how many of you will truly even know its not there? I would bet my title if nobody told anybody in these 12 pages that Ford pulled a fast one nobody would likely notice, I haven't on my 23 and I've taken it offroad a few times. Frankly, I spend thousands of miles off-roading ever year all over the PNW and any place I've ever had to engage front lockers in the last 20+ yrs or would have possibly used a Torsen LSD would likely not be a place I'd take a $90k Raptor. If we were talking about a locking front end for the hardcore users, sure I'd be upset but the Torsen...it wasn't that helpful to begin unless your racing.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Granted, I don’t have a dog in this hunt because I have a GEN 2 that has the Torsen. However, I would miss it on the street. I live off an often slick yet paved, hilly area and rely on it for my morning drive into work. I select 4A multiple times in the mornings almost every single day. Technically, I guess you could say it’s more of a street differential than a full on locker for rock crawling anyway. I would argue that the majority of owners would benefit more from a Toreson rear, than a Elocker. I mean really, who needs a locker in the Starbucks parking lot?

Last edited: