2023 Raptor - Bad Gateway Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
jeffsc08

jeffsc08

Reaction score
Oh and my case manager is worthless - incompetent and he definitely doesn’t give a shit - said he would update me weekly…not even sure I want to continue with Ford…..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear about this, there’s really no excuse for this kind of fückery here.

First, you’re not 9 days from triggering the lemon law. Read the VA law carefully (at least the last time I checked) having a provided loaner does not permit the days the loaner is provided to count against the >31 day threshold. Unless of course you’re paying for the Hertz car...

Second, after filing suit, the manufacturer gets one final repair attempt and you can absolutely guarantee that their counsel will show up with the part in hand for that repair. This is the only circumstance in which the mfgr. will ‘cannibalize’ a completed vehicle, because their counsel cost several hundred dollars per hour, and for each engagement they have with you it costs them hourly rate at a minimum, which, when combined with travel, lodging and other expenses will be several times the cost of the part. And, all they have to do is provide a marginally working part - they could actually install a previously failed part, so long as it powers up and hope for the best, but likely they would find a known working example, hand deliver it to the stealership and your suit is then mooted when the repair is completed.
This leaves you out the money paid to your counsel and any collateral expenses.

Third, it’s inconceivable that there are simply no ‘gateway modules’ available for the truck. We’re 3 years past china-virus. While the dealer is technically correct that the buy back is out of their hands, finding the part is NOT out of their hands. Tell the service manager you’d like them to do a search of all dealership inventory - they can do this - to see if one of the parts departments can lay hands on one and if so, deliver it to you immediately. Ford reimburses that dealer for the part as I understand it; the point is, your dealer probably just called looking for the part, to which Ford always responds : “sorry, that part is on national back order”. It’s been that way with any major Raptor part since 2017. But that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a dealership, or salvage yard with one available that works.

Tell your dealer to exhaust every possible source for the part, including 3rd party or salvage parts. at this point, WTF cares where it comes from as long as it works. You may need to “help” them. You shouldn’t have to but you may need to if you want the truck back. Get the part number and start digging.

You could see if they have an acceptable trade on the lot as well.

The lemon law suit should be your absolute last alternative because once you file suit, everything you do at the stealership network is under scrutiny. Everything. Even routine service will be stalled until a regional rep can be onsite. Every time your truck is brought in, it’s scrutinized for any sign of abuse, neglect, or parts installed that could potentially be used as evidence in the lawsuit, no matter how insignificant. They’re looking for anything that could convince a jury that it wasn’t a defective truck but you caused the problem. It doesn’t matter how preposterous the assertion is, they only have to convince a jury. EX.: “Look, this owner is an absolute extremist with SEVEN forward facing aftermarket lights. How is he using these lights in Virginia where there are no off road venues and certainly not at night? No, this user is an abusive, aggressive driver who carelessly and negligently modified their vehicle with all manner of aftermarket equipment, possibly creating EMF and destroying the gateway module!”

Of course, that’s complete bûllshit, but all they have to do is present enough evidence to a jury to convince them you had some part in the failure.

OR they have the stealership pour through your records to see if you’ve neglected to service some part or check some item. Of course, with a truck as young as yours, that’s unlikely, but if you file suit, this is what you can expect.

Good luck, I hope your dealer will be more helpful going forward and the repair is completed soon.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People act like buy back is a trade in program that can be casually used any time they have a warranty issue. It’s a legal process and it brands the title of the vehicle, significantly decreasing the resale value and making it undesirable for the majority of prospective subsequent buyers.

So you’re basically writing off a $91k vehicle over a simple module replacement. They gave you a loaner pickup, so it’s not like you’re out of transportation.

Verify with the dealer that they have placed the part on emergency backorder; that process expedites procurement of the part.

And as Smurf said, once you initiate the buyback process, you’re “that guy”. The case stays on your customer file and is a good determining factor of how the manufacturer will treat you in the future.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Verify with the dealer that they have placed the part on emergency backorder; that process expedites procurement of the part.

That’s the phrase I couldn’t remember, I know it’s been posted before.

OP
OP
jeffsc08

jeffsc08

Reaction score
You’re right - I apologize for being so inconsiderate. I’ll just continue to make payments on 91K and drive a lesser vehicle for as long as it takes - no big deal - I’ll pay the property tax on it and just suck it up….I won’t worry about the lack of information or the the fact they have no idea when the “simple module replacement” will be available - they said it could be months and you say I am casually using the buyback program….hmm

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’re right - I apologize for being so inconsiderate. I’ll just continue to make payments on 91K and drive a lesser vehicle for as long as it takes - no big deal - I’ll pay the property tax on it and just suck it up….I won’t worry about the lack of information or the the fact they have no idea when the “simple module replacement” will be available - they said it could be months and you say I am casually using the buyback program….hmm
Good, I'm glad that's straightened out. :)

Seriously, if you post looking for information, don't get bent when you don't like what you hear. Folks are trying to help. If you just want to vent, say so and folks will not spend any valuable time trying to help. Yes, Ford is füçked up. Yes, the dealers are both incompetent and dishonest. But there are ways to work the system. Your choice on whether to do that or just enjoy the wait. I went through this same thing. The service advisor actively sabotaged the process. His boss was aiding and abetting him. The manager of the service department is the lowest-ranking person at the dealership who has any power to help you. Good luck.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was not long ago, someone showed pictures of his totaled new truck. Find that truck and get your part.

OP
OP
jeffsc08

jeffsc08

Reaction score
All good - appreciate the advice….bottom line I just want the truck - I realize if I do the buyback crap I’m still out a truck and they take the loaner back too…….I just want the truck man - that’s all I want…..

Again- all good, I am venting but I am also looking for advice so I do appreciate the feedback.

Cheers!!!!