2023 For Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gator85

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious as to how the “gubment” controls the range on an EV?
[/QUOTE
Unless you have one hell of an extension cord, or you strap a solar panel on it (and pray it's sunny), propellers (pray it's windy), or Pedals, you're not going far. Sorry, I don't have the time to explain how the gubment will FORCE us into them. But, mark my word, the current administration is all about power and control.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I would love to have a Lightning to commute to work and around town, but would never depend on it as my sole source of transportation or take it on a road trip. It’s definitely better than driving a Prius!!!

bp299

Reaction score
I’d miss the sound of rattling cam phasers in the morning.
LMAO.

I started the trade my lightning for a gen 3 thread a few weeks ago and didn't realize the shit storm it would start! It's crazy how much EV hate is out there.

I've had a Lightning for 3 months now and am no way an EV guy but the timing was good. Got in early on reserving one at MSRP so with 100k miles on my Gen 2, no less than 8 warranty visits in 4 years, and $6 premium here in soCal, I thought why not? Plus I got nearly $10k in tax benefits, $2750 of that was refunds.
Here where we never get any f**king rain, my home solar charges the truck for about 1/5 of the price gas would be-if I had to pay for it. Because I ran 25k mostly local miles a year, (7K on the Lightning now), my gas saving in 3 months has been about $800 a month. So why not plug in for free and wake up full every morning?

Now I don't tow but do haul dirt bikes weekly so this thing seemed like a good idea to try. It has amazing tech, is "lightning" fast, rides like a caddy, and locking rank gear bags in the frunk is way cool.

HOWEVER, It is NOT a Raptor.

I recently did a 4 day Colorado dirt bike ride and we had a Raptor and a Tremor chasing and I realized having a Raptor was more important for my offroad hobbies than the savings and practicality of the Lightning. Plus, a couple times a year I road trip 600-800 miles away for these rides and I am too impatient to make that trip an extra 2-3 hours for charge stops.

The Lightning definitely has its place and I have to commend Ford for producing it. If you don't need to tow far and don't travel more than 275 miles a day, it's a no brainer. But for me, and now that the novelty has worn off, it just looks like a fancy work truck. Any attempt to make it rugged looking with wheels and tires only defeats the purpose of have a good range EV truck.

It took me many years to be able to finally get my first Raptor and as much as I was disappointed with the warranty sh*t, it is still the ultimate truck to me. Now that I have an allocation for an R, I will be going from one end of the practical spectrum to the other! Hopefully the warranty gremlins won't be in the V8-Any cam phasers in the Coyote??

In the meantime, I won't complain about smoking fools when the light turns green and not stopping at Sam's club to try and save 20 cents a gallon! Or miss the sound of cam phasers!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The real truck owners who use their trucks as intended will not buy. Real commutes with weight, travel trailers, boats, trailers etc make the truck useless. Test after test shows it is poor at best but then again, they all tow 65-70 which is a super double whammy on wind zapping resistance.
I think the real volume buyers are city and county maintenance crews. A lot of those trucks are strictly short range stay in the lot overnight beater trucks. Woke signalling will make them irresitible for blue places.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
@bp299 I have always said I personally think something like a Tesla and a Raptor would be the perfect vehicle combination for any garage to handle any situation you’d have a solid vehicle for everything

WVUBlue

Reaction score
In my Chicago suburb, teslas are as common as Ford F-150. Any one who has one drives like 25-50 miles per day and every place seems to have 1-2 park up front, look at me charge for free chargers. I have had some
say they barely go below 50% ever. So for the suburbanite who wants a truck to go to Home Depot and by some mulch and some plants, and keep his car interior and “environment” clean and brag about not buying gas this is the BEST TRUCK IN THE WORLD!

The real truck owners who use their trucks as intended will not buy. Real commutes with weight, travel trailers, boats, trailers etc make the truck useless. Test after test shows it is poor at best but then again, they all tow 65-70 which is a super double whammy on wind zapping resistance.

Did read an article that a guy has a Lightning Platinum which he tows his wake boat(8k+ lbs) and he gets like 60-70 miles. They asked him why should he do that and the stated “the lake is only 23 miles away so I have plenty of range”. Hahahah
In West Virginia we use a truck the way it’s supposed to be used. My Raptor has battle scars. Hauling stuff and taking it in the mountains to have fun causes the scars and they are beautiful. Gas on!!! Can’t wait for my R!!!

Attachments

• 058A4FF7-6A77-47F9-A866-49EF47125F9A.jpeg
    058A4FF7-6A77-47F9-A866-49EF47125F9A.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 18
  • 62A600B5-95CA-47DB-8175-259259ABD3DE.jpeg
    62A600B5-95CA-47DB-8175-259259ABD3DE.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1AA65F7F-583D-40B1-AE90-96865B155B69.jpeg
    1AA65F7F-583D-40B1-AE90-96865B155B69.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 84AB3044-DA97-4320-90EB-B1049FF4345D.jpeg
    84AB3044-DA97-4320-90EB-B1049FF4345D.jpeg