2023 For Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Do you drill for oil and refine your own gasoline?

You think the government can't stop you filling up your truck with gas if they wanted?

At least an electric truck can be charged completely off-the-grid with solar panels.
Commies have a kill switch built into EV's.

badclam

Reaction score

You think the government can't stop you filling up your truck with gas if they wanted?

At least an electric truck can be charged completely off-the-grid with solar panels.
Not in Western WA. you can't. I live off the grid and we don't get enough sun to keep our house supplied. The back-up generator supplies most of our power to charge the house batteries.

Gator85

FRF Addict
Reaction score

At least an electric truck can be charged completely off-the-grid with solar
Of course I do!! You don't have a well and refinery in your back yard? You poor peasant. How's that solar panel work with no sun cupcake?

Last edited:

Gator85

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not in Western WA. you can't. I live off the grid and we don't get enough sun to keep our house supplied. The back-up generator supplies most of our power to charge the house batteries.
You need to get you a monkey on a tricycle!

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Didn’t TFL truck run the batteries dry at a tick over 50 miles while towing?
It was pretty bad, but they said they got 1 mile per 1% of charge so it was pushing toward 100 miles before he had to sit there and charge again.

If you live in/near the city and have a short commute EV’s are a pretty cool idea for you. Basically every other circumstance they are not good enough yet. That’s just the reality on the ground.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not trying to bash you, but since you live in Houston, what is the plan for hurricane evacuation with the huge traffic jams? Take the wife's car and leave the electric truck at home?

Some parts of Houston are very unlikely to need to evacuate. But even then, you could very well be without power for a significant length of time. I'm a couple miles off the coast, but pretty well protected I think. However, having done the evacuation thing a time or two before, I'm not going to depend on an EV when I need to get the hell out of town.

Gubment controlling how far I go ain't for me.

They can put a kill switch in your ICE vehicle, just as easy as they can an EV. Although I suppose it might be a bit easier to bypass on ICE then it would an EV.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to bash you, but since you live in Houston, what is the plan for hurricane evacuation with the huge traffic jams? Take the wife's car and leave the electric truck at home?
I don't live in Houston anymore but current area isn't better. We have a whole home generator...but the truth is, I would never own this truck if I didn't have an ICE truck as well. It's a toy for my uses, not practical for trips, towing, etc.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my Chicago suburb, teslas are as common as Ford F-150. Any one who has one drives like 25-50 miles per day and every place seems to have 1-2 park up front, look at me charge for free chargers. I have had some
say they barely go below 50% ever. So for the suburbanite who wants a truck to go to Home Depot and by some mulch and some plants, and keep his car interior and “environment” clean and brag about not buying gas this is the BEST TRUCK IN THE WORLD!

The real truck owners who use their trucks as intended will not buy. Real commutes with weight, travel trailers, boats, trailers etc make the truck useless. Test after test shows it is poor at best but then again, they all tow 65-70 which is a super double whammy on wind zapping resistance.

Did read an article that a guy has a Lightning Platinum which he tows his wake boat(8k+ lbs) and he gets like 60-70 miles. They asked him why should he do that and the stated “the lake is only 23 miles away so I have plenty of range”. Hahahah