2023 For Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the real volume buyers are city and county maintenance crews. A lot of those trucks are strictly short range stay in the lot overnight beater trucks. Woke signalling will make them irresitible for blue places.

It's irresistible for red places too. First off, all city decision makers are woke, even if the area is not. Exceptions of course, but it's the general rule. And the thing is, when it comes to fleet management, red businesses don't care if it's ICE or EV, as long as it gets the job done at low cost and employees are relatively happy. Oh sure, they'll complain about government rebates, but they aren't turning away from them on principle either.

Seriously, I work at an O&G company, and I would not be the least surprised to see Lightning service trucks start popping up around here.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's irresistible for red places too. First off, all city decision makers are woke, even if the area is not. Exceptions of course, but it's the general rule. And the thing is, when it comes to fleet management, red businesses don't care if it's ICE or EV, as long as it gets the job done at low cost and employees are relatively happy. Oh sure, they'll complain about government rebates, but they aren't turning away from them on principle either.

Seriously, I work at an O&G company, and I would not be the least surprised to see Lightning service trucks start popping up around here.
Good point.

Reaction score
I am definitely not one to be into the EV trucks but I was at the dealership and was offered the keys to the new Lightning. So I said what the hell, let’s check it out. I liked the huge vertical screen in the dash. And then there’s the acceleration! Holy shit Batman! This thing MOVES!!!
As for the 300 mile range and that it cuts in half when you’re towing, it’s not very practical. But hell, I was impressed!

My (Gen 2) Raptor was just at service for 2 days for a warranty repair and they gave me a Lightning platinum as a loaner (well technically an extended test drive). I am already set up at home for Level 2 charging on my MME.

Acceleration is insane like you said. My Raptor feels slow now. I liked the interior as a whole, the range isn't good enough though for a truck. I wouldn't replace my Raptor with one. Bluecruise works amazingly well. I can confirm the towing range drops significantly; I moved an approximately 7000lb trailer about 30 miles, and range dropped from 285 miles to 102 miles so it was more than half! Once I emptied the trailer, range crept back up on the return trip. It used almost 40% of the battery just to tow 30 miles so not good at all. I would buy one in the future under two conditions: range improves to over 500 miles and 250-ish miles when towing (which would make it similar to an ICE truck) AND, faster charging (though this is something needed for EVs in general). Also, the fact that you'd have to unhook your trailer to use any current public charger is a deal breaker.....