2022 Tundra stole some lighting cues from the Raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So guys, is everyone aware they are redesigning the Tundra for 2022? You are all absolutely correct that the Tundra lacks in tech, power, and other modern features. So this is Toyota's chance to change that. I have no idea what they have planned. But it doesn't make sense to criticize the new unreleased 2022 Tundra based on the previous generation.
something else to consider.... the tech maybe old but its also very reliable , unlike anything in the american market. no one looks at a toyota with 100,000 miles and says nope!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
something else to consider.... the tech maybe old but its also very reliable , unlike anything in the american market. no one looks at a toyota with 100,000 miles and says nope!
That’s the same irrational argument Toyota fanboys love to use. Of course less features and technology mean less things to break. So you’re paying the same price as a competitive product, getting less features and technology, and then claiming “reliability” because lack of said features and tech means they obviously cannot break since they don’t exist.

Ive racked and inspected more than my share of 100k Toyota vehicles for customers and said “nope”. Frame and control arm rust is a major issue, along with engine and P/S oil leaks. All of which are expensive to repair, except for frame rust, since they just go to the scrap yard.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

In my OEM opinion, competition is good for the species—and the best thing ever for the consumer who loves vehicles such as our Raptor.

What is comical and sophomoric (to me) is the debate over “marker lights” and “how dare Toyota—or even the F150s who emulate the triple lights. “Toyota does nothing other than copy others.”

Sheesh.

I 100% enjoy my Raptor and respect Ford for creating this—as at the price point nothing else equals it qualitatively. Ford provided a gift—an icon.

My teams consist of great people who’ve worked for many OEMs—just as I. They see the pros and cons of every OEM objectively or they’d have stayed where they were.

That said, I 100% respect Lexus/Toyota for their business approach as I’ve done a few laps in the OEM business—but also respect Ford and a handful of OEMs.

I have a very heavily used/stressed 1998 Toyota Landcruiser 100 series that I maintain myself and has taken a beating with overland mods—247k on the clock. Other than timing belts on the 4.7, water pump, wear items, the truck is as solid as the day it rolled off the line—despite the mods—not a rattle or squeak. My wife’s LX570 is well engineered as has her prior Lexus vehicles. I have no doubt my LC will run 500k trouble free and be as solid as today—so I can hand it over to my son. My wife’s gas pig 5.7 LX will outlive us of it is maintained without any fuss.

I have biases as all, but I respect quality and innovation—by all OEMs.

No company owns innovation and all OEMs face hallenges in a competitive market. Good times to be an OEM or a consumer!

Have a good day all.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No company owns innovation and all OEMs face hallenges in a competitive market. Good times to be an OEM or a consumer!

No one was suggesting that Toyota can't come up with innovations. In fact, some where saying that Toyota lacks innovation. If your were saying that a company doesn't own a specific innovation, like marker lights in the grille, that's not really true either. In many cases, companies can and do patent their innovation so other companies can't steal it. When they can't do that, customers still often know who came up with the innovation and who copied it.

That isn't to say that certain innovations shouldn't be copied, particularly when they add a lot of value and quickly becoming a requirement...like a backup camera. But in many cases, a company decides to just copy a design feature that's already popular rather than take a risk with a new design of their own.

dakotawoopass

Reaction score
It would annoy me that owners and other manufacturers keep adding the amber grill lights, but I'm reminded that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I'm not usually like this, but when I see one of those fake Raptor grills with the amber lights in a regular F150 or Tacoma, I just make eye contact so they know I realize they're full of ****.

That'll usually do it. Eye contact.
They'll think twice next time. ;)

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How cool is it to live in America and have freedom of choice. Japan love makes me ill, sorry. I would not have a Toyota on my driveway much less in my garage.

Well I have a Subaru STI, and based on the new one they just released and the internet flames it has garnered. The older ones will be in high demand. Like the 90s Supra, old 300zx and 3000GT some of the Japanese auto makers do/ did make fine cars. Granted I do not and am not a fan of Japanese trucks they just kind of miss the market for me.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, does the marker lights mean it's wide enough to require them? That would be interesting!
Yes, I believe they are >80" wide.

I wish Toyota would get off their asses already and make a heavy duty truck. The market is there.