2022 Tundra stole some lighting cues from the Raptor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you say 'everyone' we are only talking about aftermarket grilles. To my knowledge, there isn't a stock truck that comes with marker that doesn't require it by law. If this tundra isn't over 80" wide, than this would be the first with 'fake' lights...as far as I know. I would tend to agree that they wouldn't do it unless it's needed.
It costs money to add those lights. Money that comes straight off profits. So I'm also guessing that truck is wider than 80". Maybe it's another step in the "mine is bigger than yours" race that seems to obsess the pickup truck market. If the stock trim Tundra is that wide ... it could force all of the lemming-like manufacturers into going wide. A new round of puffery that makes the Tacoma more attractive in comparison. Maybe Toyota is taking the long view on their bread-and-butter truck. That would be hilarious.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree on all counts. That's part of why I think the whole idea here that "Toyota stole the Raptor's lighting design" is misleading. Trucks have had marker lights for decades on top of the cab. The Raptor was innovative in putting the 3 center lights in the grill. So the Raptor doesn't own marker lights. The Raptor owns "marker lights in the grill." But even then, the case is that Ford found a great way to meet that DOT requirement. If you've got to meet the same DOT requirement for a different truck today, you'd be an idiot to not use the great way that Ford figured out 10 years ago.

Toyota isn't a teenager putting marker lights on their Taco's grill. They've most likely got a DOT requirement to meet, and Ford made the new industry standard way of doing it for a half ton truck, so Toyota is following suit just like Ram did.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It costs money to add those lights. Money that comes straight off profits. So I'm also guessing that truck is wider than 80". Maybe it's another step in the "mine is bigger than yours" race that seems to obsess the pickup truck market. If the stock trim Tundra is that wide ... it could force all of the lemming-like manufacturers into going wide. A new round of puffery that makes the Tacoma more attractive in comparison. Maybe Toyota is taking the long view on their bread-and-butter truck. That would be hilarious.

It's a cost, sure, but not a tremendous one. If you look at aftermarket grilles, it's not like you can see a real price difference between grilles and marker light grilles.

But I completely agree that going wider is a popular trend, one that I like personally. Regular F150s just look too skinny to me now. Wider just looks more aggressive. More so than lifts IMO.

Agree on all counts. That's part of why I think the whole idea here that "Toyota stole the Raptor's lighting design" is misleading. Trucks have had marker lights for decades on top of the cab. The Raptor was innovative in putting the 3 center lights in the grill. So the Raptor doesn't own marker lights. The Raptor owns "marker lights in the grill." But even then, the case is that Ford found a great way to meet that DOT requirement. If you've got to meet the same DOT requirement for a different truck today, you'd be an idiot to not use the great way that Ford figured out 10 years ago.

Toyota isn't a teenager putting marker lights on their Taco's grill. They've most likely got a DOT requirement to meet, and Ford made the new industry standard way of doing it for a half ton truck, so Toyota is following suit just like Ram did.

When my son (teenager) wanted a new grille on his truck, my two requirements were that he kept the front camera and no marker lights. I've sort of regret that marker light rule. It is a teenager's vehicle afterall, so do what he wants.

But regarding theft of ideas, it's not like Ford has all original ideas either. They certainly were not the first to use LED strip lighting in the headlights, infotainment screens etc. In fact, it's pretty surprise that more good design elements aren't copied more frequently.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You’re forgetting that this it the same company that put a non-functional hood scoop on top of an already non-functional hood scoop on the current Gen tundra. Meaning it has not 1, but 2 useless hood scoops on top of each other. Might as well be designed by teenagers with Autozone parts.

Toyota will not hesitate to slap some lights in the grille to copy Ford; that’s what they’re known for, copying. I highly doubt the standard tundra is going to be wide enough to require marker lamps. Look no further than the 1st Gen tundra, which was a complete ripoff of the F-150. It’s not about innovation or originality, it’s about pilfering sales.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
So if (and I mean IF) Toyota can come out with a V8 pickup that is a genuine Raptor fighter (again, IF), that only adds to the 3rd Gen Raptor debut mess.
My understanding is the speculation is they're using a 3.5L TT V6. Same motor they use in Lexus LS500, 415hp/442lb-ft in the LS500. And I think they were doing a big of 5.7Ls for parts and other vehicles that still uses before that plant stops making it altogether.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they do with the TRD PRO Tundra. I own a 17 4Runner Trd Pro, great vehicle, great work horse. At this point It'll be pretty hard to pull me away from a Gen 3 Raptor with the 37 Package. I think I have Raptor fever. Now if Toyota has 37's on the Trd Pro, I just might take a peak. Lol

Screenshot_20210521-165708_YouTube.jpg
2022-toyota-tundra-leaked-spied-1606234470.jpg

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they do with the TRD PRO Tundra. I own a 17 4Runner Trd Pro, great vehicle, great work horse. At this point It'll be pretty hard to pull me away from a Gen 3 Raptor with the 37 Package. I think I have Raptor fever. Now if Toyota has 37's on the Trd Pro, I just might take a peak. Lol

View attachment 168897
View attachment 168895
OMG that's an ugly front end. It looks like a catfish.