2022 Raptor vs used TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyrilk

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed but wanted get people's opinions.

I have a raptor 801a on order that is stuck in Michigan. I found a local private seller for a 2021 TRX 20k miles with all the bells and whistles for basically the same price.

What would you do and why?

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what forum members have indicated you can already get a new TRX within the same ballpark as a loaded raptor with a bit of shopping. Personally I would not buy a used TRX for the same reason I wouldn't buy any used SRT/hellcat powered product. Those vehicles are purchased to go fast and most people I know who have bought them drive them extremely hard and beat the crap out of them. There's an exception to every rule but I feel it's safe to assume that vehicles with that powertrain are driven slightly harder than the average.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a raptor 801a on order that is stuck in Michigan. I found a local private seller for a 2021 TRX 20k miles with all the bells and whistles for basically the same price.

They are making a ton of TRXs and they are already selling them for 10k under MSRP at some dealers. Meanwhile, Raptors are going for 10k over.

That said, the TRX is a heck of a truck, with obviously a more sought after engine and amazing interior. I’m close to switching because I’m done with Ford antics, my March order is on chip hold and Ford CS said no eta but dealer says 11/21. Who knows.

I loved the way the TRX sounds and the acceleration but it kind of drives like a boat, not as tight around corners, and some QC issues are showing up

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Everyone's use case and needs are different. I love nearly everything about my TRX. Its only real shortcomings are the gas mileage and, because you can get into troubling speed offroad so quickly, the shock package could be better to handle those increased speeds if you push the truck.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Depends on your goal. Street truck with light off roading? TRX might be a good fit but I'm sure you could find one cheaper and with less miles. Raptor is unbeatable offroad in my opinion. That said, I am not a fan of anything Dodge. Would rather daily drive a Yugo than a TRX.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would HIGHLY suggest you go read the pre-delivery issues, inspections, and requirements for the TRX’s. Will probably change your mind. Basically oil leaks everywhere, coolant leaks everywhere, suspension missing bolts and literally falling out.

Buying a used TRX from someone who didn’t address these issues would cause mayhem for a second owner down the road. Just saying.

Plus go drive one. I test ride one before I bought my raptor to finally my decision and personally it wasn’t for me. Imagine and huge boat, with massive power, and no trim tabs.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The used TRX with 20k miles is the same price as a new Raptor? I would think you could do better than that.