2022 Ford Lightning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tell you what, whatever the intended use for this first Lightning is. Ford needs to hit a grand slam with it. All time selling vehicle for decades going electric! Damn it has to look good or that’s a problem. Has to have range, has to be able to tow and not drain out, needs the features. For the private/personal side it also needs the looks. We know it will have the power. It may not be the fastest to start, but we know Ford does’t make one flavor of truck like many brands will for a while.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EVs are notoriously bad at towing, and I'd be surprised if Ford overcomes that. Towing will kill range. My guess is that it will have around 300 mile range, and have payload similar to other F150s. That will be enough for a lot of people who aren't planning on taking it out of town or doing in the bed but trips to the market or moving some furniture.

I'm curious to see how it deviates from other F150s beside the battery and front lightbar. Will it have a 4WD option? Will it be lowered? Will it using the standard tires/wheels/shocks...and can those be switched out? It won't be long before someone lifts Lightning if the standard lift kifts are applicable.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this front rendering isn't correct.

ford-f-150-lightning-rendering-front.jpg
ford-f-150-lightning-rendering-back.jpgv

ford-f-150-lightning-rendering-back.jpg

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That artist rendering might not bee too far off. It will definitely have it's own grille (that isn't a grille) and I expect it to be lowered for performance and efficiency. Might not be surprised if it comes with a bed cover be default, also for aerodynamics.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
That artist rendering might not bee too far off. It will definitely have it's own grille (that isn't a grille) and I expect it to be lowered for performance and efficiency. Might not be surprised if it comes with a bed cover be default, also for aerodynamics.
Hopefully they shave the door handles. I love the door opening of the new Mach E.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they're going for aerodynamics, why does the front end look like the side of a garage? You don't need huge airflow over a radiator anymore. Heck, they could make the front end look like the '41 Ford pickup. Talk about a styling change. Boxy pickups are ugly, no matter what you do to them. This would be a great chance to fix that. At the very least they could slope that hood down. Better aerodynamics and better visibility. Win/win.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm excited for the frunk. Imagine how deep and cavernous it'd be without the need to stuff an ICE/transmission/tranfercase in there.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A solar panel tonneau would be cool. But there's a maximum amount of energy available from the sun per square inch and you'll never get more than 100% efficiency, so it might take a while to charge up. Like weeks.
I gotta think the weight would be brutal for a solar panel as big as my tonneau. Mine is a backflip and its foam core and aluminum and it’s still kind of heavy.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Patent on small hidden generator option.

ford-f-150-electric-leaked-patent-image.jpg

Are you thinking this BEV truck will be different and have some type of generator on board? I always said, why can’t there be some type of power generating device on board to extend mileage. Granted it will be a parasite, but it can deliver more extra miles then regenerative braking which when you get down to it, adds minimal mileage. I think if Ford wants to take the lead in some ways, something innovative like this needs to be done. This can maybe help the “tow” factor.

Yes I read it will be dual motor, so there’s your 4 wheel/AWD.

Ford’s have been bricks by design and they still basically are. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a brick front end like it’s ice trucks. If mileage didn’t suffer that much in testing, then they didn’t have much of a reason to go totally aero. Many fans like there Fords thick as a brick and why evolution comes slowly to the design.

I’m thinking @GordoJay likes them thick too lol