2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: "durability problems when turned up beyond 650 HP"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
What in the actual F are you smoking bro!?!?

huh? The 7.3 is by definition larger than the 5.2 & on top of that it’s heavy AF b/c it’s a cast iron block

And everyone needs to give it a rest on “Godzilla” - it ain’t Godzilla. That namesake belongs to the ttV6 & the GTR powered by it lol- overweight iron block truck engine dubbed “Godzilla” gtfoh
Do you know how engine displacement works?

I'm not saying the 7.3 is physically smaller, I don't know, but the piston displacement does not necessarily dictate the size of the block.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you know how engine displacement works?

I'm not saying the 7.3 is physically smaller, I don't know, but the piston displacement does not necessarily dictate the size of the block.
Yeah I know how it works, and as far as thy goes Ford is NOTORIOUS for making architecturally HUGE engines regardless of displacement- take a look @ 4.6 modular V8 next to an LS2 lol

look at our ** 3.5 compared to a hemi 5.7

you can look up the actual specs on both engines, I already have, the info is available- and that engine is both heavy AND big

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
And even if Ford decides to use an iron block, instead of aluminum, which I am sure they could crank out rather easily, the iron 7.3 just has to be lighter than Hellcat motor, or just simply have a better power to weight ratio for the entire vehicle. Should be a snap with the aluminum body. :cool:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah I know how it works, and as far as thy goes Ford is NOTORIOUS for making architecturally HUGE engines regardless of displacement- take a look @ 4.6 modular V8 next to an LS2 lol

look at our ** 3.5 compared to a hemi 5.7

you can look up the actual specs on both engines, I already have, the info is available- and that engine is both heavy AND big
You made me search. There's a video that compares the 7.3 to the Coyote. 7.3 is 4.5" narrower but 3 inches longer. Certainly seems very doable.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You made me search. There's a video that compares the 7.3 to the Coyote. 7.3 is 4.5" narrower but 3 inches longer. Certainly seems very doable.
But the weight! Over the nose! In an off-road truck intended for short flight? No bueno! I wanna say it was couple hundred lbs diff at least

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But the weight! Over the nose! In an off-road truck intended for short flight? No bueno! I wanna say it was couple hundred lbs diff at least

Briefly looking up the crate engine weight:

7.3 is 580lbs
gen 1 3.5 ecoboost with turbos but no intercooler weighs 417lbs.

Couldn’t find anything on the H.O.

7.3 appears to be lighter than the 6.2

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Briefly looking up the crate engine weight:

7.3 is 580lbs
gen 1 3.5 ecoboost with turbos but no intercooler weighs 417lbs.

Couldn’t find anything on the H.O.

7.3 appears to be lighter than the 6.2
The 6.2 that cratered all the front ends of the Gen 1? ;)

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock raptors come out of the factory with 450hp. Including your tune math, that's still 200hp less than the 750hp motor they stick in the gt500s. Not to mention that vehicle is purely setup as rear wheel drive (no transfer case) and is a much easier platform to handle power. But hey if you think I'm wrong then just do a motor swap in yours and good luck

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Iron vs aluminum block is only 80 lbs difference with the 4.6L block, which is essentially the same as the 5.0L block.

Both 5.0 and 7.3 engines have aluminum heads and plastic intakes. 7.3 has way less valvetrain and timing parts, so the heads are probably significantly lighter than a 5.0L.

Hardly "heavy AF".

I still think it's gonna be the GT500 engine though, since it's certified for emissions and all that. They know how the GT500 engines are holding up in the real world by now as well. (Hint- it's going to be way more reliable than the POS 5.2 Voodoo engines)