2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: "durability problems when turned up beyond 650 HP"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, it had me until they said a price tag for the Raptor R to be under $70,000, lol

Yeah, they're comparing that to the base TRX, which accounts for only like 5% of units sold.

Seems unlikely the R would be offered in any configuration less than fully loaded.

The R runs counter to Ford's prioritization of eco-friendly vehicles. I don't think they want to sell many, and it wouldn't surprise me if the R never sees the light of day.. any "durability issues" could be an easy justification for Ford execs to cancel it outright.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, they're comparing that to the base TRX, which accounts for only like 5% of units sold.

Seems unlikely the R would be offered in any configuration less than fully loaded.

The R runs counter to Ford's prioritization of eco-friendly vehicles. I don't think they want to sell many, and it wouldn't surprise me if the R never sees the light of day.. any "durability issues" could be an easy justification for Ford execs to cancel it outright.
With the price of fuel only to be going higher , who wants to spend more time at the gas station anyway, lol.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If Ford was that concerned about "eco-friendly", they wouldn't be building 15 MPG Raptors, Mustang GT 350s & 500s, or many of their other large vehicles.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If Ford was that concerned about "eco-friendly", they wouldn't be building 15 MPG Raptors, Mustang GT 350s & 500s, or many of their other large vehicles.
This is very true, Ford is concerned with making money, that's it. Regardless of what their "social justice media team" tells everyone.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s using the GT500 power plant, why is there durability issues when it supposedly goes beyond 650HP when it makes 760HP in the GT500? I still think it’s NOT the GT500 power plant but a Raptor specific engine. Wasn’t it mentioned before it was “dropping cylinders” on test mules? If you already have that engine in production it shouldn’t change reliability.

My guess; twin turbo V8. Possibly a 5.0 or smaller V8 “ecoboost”

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score

Well, right, that's my point - those vehicles are in production now, and the R is not.

There is less and less appetite for the gas-guzzlers at Ford and a gradual decline in those types of vehicles. There is only so much room, and eventually, ideas like the R will no longer be entertained.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it’s using the GT500 power plant, why is there durability issues when it supposedly goes beyond 650HP when it makes 760HP in the GT500? I still think it’s NOT the GT500 power plant but a Raptor specific engine. Wasn’t it mentioned before it was “dropping cylinders” on test mules? If you already have that engine in production it shouldn’t change reliability.

My guess; twin turbo V8. Possibly a 5.0 or smaller V8 “ecoboost”

They said "the trucks experienced durability problems" when the engine was turned up- nothing about the engine having issues. S/C V8 is plenty adequate for the next 5 years. TT V8 output is still a decade out- saving that for the 4 digit HP engines.

The durability problems are likely cooling and everything after the transmission- axles, half shafts, u-joints, T-case, knuckles, etc. All getting intentionally abused the driver, 800-900 HP from a overspun blower setup and the weight of some 37" tires. Maybe they crammed even bigger tires on it for testing.

Headline could have read: "Ford is out there with modified prototype trucks, trying to break them. The team will upgrade parts as their bean counters deem appropriate."

M/T is historically anti-Ford. The first paragraph alone has 3 passive aggressive statements about the Raptor.

The S/C V8 Raptor is going to absolutely destroy the TRX. It's going to be a slaughter. "TR-What again?" is going to be the reaction.