2021 Roush/Alcon Brake Kit Install Experience on 2020 gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bee

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@nikhsub1

Hey man hows the dust with new pads? I installed the Alcons in November and echo all the improved stopping reviews.

But the dust is really something. Didn't mind during the winter because the truck is always dirty anyway.

Now that it's summer would like to keep the wheels clean for more than a day after a wash.

OP
OP
Zeusmotorworks

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the second pad compound, not the 3rd, correct nkkhsub1? Can't remember who told me there is a new one with even less dust than the 2nd.

OP
OP
Zeusmotorworks

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a new 3rd now with even less dust. Don't know if its even on the website yet.

<edit>

Found it. Was Nick@Apollo-Optics in the "big Brake" thread:

Regarding Alcon, they have recently released their third pad compound which is even less dusty than the second compound they came out with and is also shimmed to reduce squeaking.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. The second compound has been great so far. I never had any noise from them and the dust is much less. I was concerned they might be harder on the rotors but Alcon assured me that isn’t the case.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine on for a couple of thousand miles at this point. Stop great, but there is as much dust from the stock Alcon pads as stock Mercedes AMG pads (a lot). Will continue to watch what others do in terms of pads. I wish EBC made yellow stuff pads for the Alcons.

I towed my boat for the first time with the Alcons (~7k lbs). The trailer has inertial brakes, but the stock truck brakes always had me on edge. The Alcons stop with a lot more confidence with weight behind the truck. I’ve always had a theory that Ford put cr*ppy brakes on 1/2 ton trucks to sell more 3/4 ones.

OP
OP
Zeusmotorworks

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to this thread - I have the first gen alcons with the 2 bolt mounts... anyway, I just replaced my pads. The OE alcon pads had about 15k miles on them when 1 of the 4 pads had the wear indicator worn down. The other 3 pads still had a bit of life left, I probably could have squeezed 3-5k miles out of them but my OCD was buggered. Alcon now has a new pad compound (in addition to the one that comes with the brakes) that apparently lasts 30% to 40% longer and has slight less stopping power. This is the replacement I went for. Got them installed yesterday, will report back with some time with them. They are only a few bucks more too. The odd thing is, no slot for wear indication on these and also, the backside of the pad is a clear sticker. You peel off the sticker paper and I was told this is for anti squeal. https://alconusa.com/collections/br...-f-150-tacoma-replacement-front-pads-low-wear

See the pad on the left, wear indicator is gone. For some reason this caliper had mismatched wear, I think the worn pad was defective...

View attachment 390996

New pads installed - you must remove the entire caliper from the bracket to get the pads out - makes it much more time consuming, have to add loctite etc.

View attachment 390997
So it looks like I’m having about the same experience as you have. About 15 K on the pads and the driver inside pad is about shot. Wondering how you’re doing with the new pads?