2021 Rear Shock Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2021 has a leaking shock already. I pulled the tire and cleaned the shock off. I'll give it a bit and report back if it continues. I couldnt see a area it could be coming from other than the shaft.
14,741 miles

258C4100-F105-412F-8AB6-F2AEB80A9353.jpeg0E96EEF8-8C63-49A9-A4CF-22437C695FAC.jpeg

Last edited:

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Always good to find things like that before the 3 year 36 is up unless you got extended but I don’t think shocks are covered on the extended. Always be looking underneath for sure. Good catch.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well i cleaned the shock up after the original post. Didnt notice any leaking until yesterday. Only thing that has changed is the weather. It has been pretty warm and have a puddle of oil in the driveway and garage. Scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning. I assume they wont have the shock and will just order one after verifying the issues. Will follow up.IMG_6622.jpegIMG_6623.jpegIMG_6624.jpeg

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be wiper leakage, but I'm more interested in the pitting in the chrome down at the bottom. Is all of the chrome gone down there? Are you driving in a manner where you would have the shock go full stroke? If so, and the chrome is pitting, it will rip that wiper right to crap, and yes, it would begin leaking all the time.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could be wiper leakage, but I'm more interested in the pitting in the chrome down at the bottom. Is all of the chrome gone down there? Are you driving in a manner where you would have the shock go full stroke? If so, and the chrome is pitting, it will rip that wiper right to crap, and yes, it would begin leaking all the time.
No visual pitting last time i looked at it. After cleaning it up last time it looked fine but the bump stop was soaked in the green shock fluid.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of the small lines on the bottom of the shock are actually grass clippings (Bermuda) stuck in the shock fluid.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No visual pitting last time i looked at it. After cleaning it up last time it looked fine but the bump stop was soaked in the green shock fluid.
Ok. Understood. it still looks like there is stuff stuck in the wiper on the piston. I would suggest spraying some water up there and trying to clean that off. If its clean, it may stop leaking. If its clean, and the leak continues, I'd say the wiper is shot and you're gonna need to rebuild it or warranty a replacement.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an update. New shock has been ordered. Had them look at the tail lamp while they where at it and a replacement has been ordered as well.(Holding Water) Both should be here in a week.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New shock finally showed up. Dropped the truck off this am and have it back now. New shock installed along with a new tail light.