2021 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I keep seeing articles stating that there will be a 2021 Raptor.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/what-happened-to-the-2021-ford-f-150-raptor/

Not sure I fully believe that, but will assume true for now.

So what are the big questions, considering what we know about the 2021 F150 and upcoming competition with Ram TRX?

It feels to me like the choice of engine will be the biggest factor. Ford could make zero changes and keep the existing V6 TT. That seems like the safe move. However, I don't see that motivating many existing Raptor owners to upgrade, or keep some from getting a TRX.

They could also go with a V8 option. Various opinions about that.

The interesting option to me is if the go with a power boost hybrid option, keeping the V6 TT. I can see that appealing to many existing owners.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Raptor has always had only a single engine option in the past. Could 2021 be a break from that? Would it be possible that there is only a single option in 2021, but future years introduce new options without introducing a new Gen?

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a engine option (V8) is out of the question for a 2021 Raptor. Ford is already highlighting the PowerBoost option. More then likely we will see a HO 3.5 Ecoboost with some sort of performance hybrid system.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there's to be a '21, which I'm skeptical about, it will probably be identical to the '20. I don't know how well that would work from a manufacturing standpoint, but from engineering and marketing perspectives, Ford has so much on their plate next year that I just don't see a newly designed Raptor happening. One or two minor changes? Maybe. A new design based on a coil spring rear suspension and a new drive train? Sounds like a real stretch.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there's to be a '21, which I'm skeptical about, it will probably be identical to the '20. I don't know how well that would work from a manufacturing standpoint, but from engineering and marketing perspectives, Ford has so much on their plate next year that I just don't see a newly designed Raptor happening. One or two minor changes? Maybe. A new design based on a coil spring rear suspension and a new drive train? Sounds like a real stretch.

Is there any real value in doing that though? It seems like there are still 2020 Raptors at dealers for those who want one now. A minor change for a 2021 isn't going to change anyone's mind on the TRX. I also don't think a 2021 Gen 2 Raptor is going to bring customers to dealer...the new F150 (and Bronco) will do that.

My thought is if there is a 2021 Raptor, it will come out next Spring. That still seems rather aggressive though.

Seems like a engine option (V8) is out of the question for a 2021 Raptor. Ford is already highlighting the PowerBoost option. More then likely we will see a HO 3.5 Ecoboost with some sort of performance hybrid system.

I have a hard time believing powerboost is the only engine option until it's been in the production F150 for at east a year.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My own guess is that if there is a 2021 Raptor, it won't be a Gen 3. We are way too close to 2021 for there not to have been any viable leaks

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been hearing about a new 21 Raptor too, at least a few online articles. Ford certainly needs the money a new gen Raptor would provide. As much as many of us, including me, would like a nice HO V8 option, it’ll likely have a performance hybrid TTV6, coil suspension, a little more travel shocks, new styling derivative off the current Raptor with the next gen F-150 styling cues, a few more options, and some of the cool features of the new F-150. Basically enough changes to make many people want to upgrade, but not earth shattering changes. Not a big deal since the current Raptor is so good anyway.

Lupa

Reaction score
Well for whatever it's worth, whenever I picked up my 2020 raptor yesterday I mentioned to the internet salesman who did the order for me that after my wife sees the truck he might be ordering a 2021 for her. His response was there will be no 2021 and they anticipate the gen 3 will be a couple years. He did say the rumor is it will be the big v8 that is in the super duty.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well for whatever it's worth, whenever I picked up my 2020 raptor yesterday I mentioned to the internet salesman who did the order for me that after my wife sees the truck he might be ordering a 2021 for her. His response was there will be no 2021 and they anticipate the gen 3 will be a couple years. He did say the rumor is it will be the big v8 that is in the super duty.

His information is based on the same as the posts here. Guesswork.