2021 Raptor is Four Wheeler Magazine’s Truck of the Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ox3721

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great trucks, just not my cup of tea. The new one looks horrible.
Last truck was a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro. Good truck but we needed something bigger. Never even considered a Tundra.

IMO and based on what I hear from others, the premium that Toyotas command is not worth it anymore because as the American truck OEM’s have increased their build quality and durability, Toyota has gone down.

I had a 2007 FJ Cruiser which was built in Japan and was probably the most solid vehicle I’ve ever owned. Was Lexus like quality. Also had a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport. Basically the same chassis and drivetrain. Not anywhere near the same build or running quality. I think that truck was made in Texas. Point being, the American made Toyotas don’t get the same quality as those built in Japan. Don’t care what anyone says.

If Toyota ever makes a truly “special” off road truck with proper quality, I would consider it. Don’t just throw on a set of crappy Fox branded shocks and a fancy badge and consider it a Raptor competitor and charge almost Raptor prices.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was probably one of the dumber comparisons that they have made. This test was worthless… just picked a few trucks that actually don’t rate well against each other. Instead of new products, they need to rate by type of vehicle. Obviously off-road trucks goes to TRX, on road trucks still goes to ram, mid size trucks still goes to Toyota. The magazines are paid by manufacturers to message things the way they want sadly. The magazines work to confuse consumers, and not help them.

OP
OP
Ox3721

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was probably one of the dumber comparisons that they have made. This test was worthless… just picked a few trucks that actually don’t rate well against each other. Instead of new products, they need to rate by type of vehicle. Obviously off-road trucks goes to TRX, on road trucks still goes to ram, mid size trucks still goes to Toyota. The magazines are paid by manufacturers to message things the way they want sadly. The magazines work to confuse consumers, and not help them.
It’s not obvious to me that off road trucks goes to TRX. Unless you’re trolling or I misinterpreted your post. On road truck is a bit of an oxymoron as well.

OP
OP
Ox3721

Ox3721

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do agree completely with your first and last paragraphs, though.

Mr_Clemson

Reaction score
Great trucks, just not my cup of tea. The new one looks horrible.
Agree. After owning three trucks and all of them being F-150’s, I was looking forward to perhaps trying Toyota’s highly anticipated refresh. Well, not anymore. I think that is one ugly truck, especially the front end. To each his own though.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also agree that it is not a foregone conclusion that the title of "Best Off-road Pickup" goes to the TRX by default. I'd have to spend some quality time in the boonies with the Ram and a Gen3 Raptor to make that decision. I've never really encountered an obstacle off-road in a 400+hp vehicle that somehow a 700+ vehicle could do better by virtue of it's extra power.

I see the current playing field something like this:

Ram TRX;Raptor R > Ford Raptor > Chevy Silverado ZR2 > Ram Rebel; F-150 Tremor > Silverado Trail Boss > Tundra TRD Pro > whatever else

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last truck was a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro. Good truck but we needed something bigger. Never even considered a Tundra.

IMO and based on what I hear from others, the premium that Toyotas command is not worth it anymore because as the American truck OEM’s have increased their build quality and durability, Toyota has gone down.

I had a 2007 FJ Cruiser which was built in Japan and was probably the most solid vehicle I’ve ever owned. Was Lexus like quality. Also had a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport. Basically the same chassis and drivetrain. Not anywhere near the same build or running quality. I think that truck was made in Texas. Point being, the American made Toyotas don’t get the same quality as those built in Japan. Don’t care what anyone says.

If Toyota ever makes a truly “special” off road truck with proper quality, I would consider it. Don’t just throw on a set of crappy Fox branded shocks and a fancy badge and consider it a Raptor competitor and charge

07 Fj despite the fact that i didnt fit well in the cabin is reliable and good to go. GX470 lifted and on 35’s is a fantastic vehicle and that motor trans combo is bullet proof. I think its better than the land cruiser because its smaller and lighter on footprint but the interior is still spectacular. The 5.7 in the tundra is unmistakably one of the best. Reliable af. Kind of like a 07-14 5.3 from chevy. Though funny enough even if you drive the raptor like a hooligan you get the same milage as a tundra or a Chevy from that era. So i guess in that respect the EcoBoost is true to its word.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also agree that it is not a foregone conclusion that the title of "Best Off-road Pickup" goes to the TRX by default. I'd have to spend some quality time in the boonies with the Ram and a Gen3 Raptor to make that decision. I've never really encountered an obstacle off-road in a 400+hp vehicle that somehow a 700+ vehicle could do better by virtue of it's extra power.

I see the current playing field something like this:

Ram TRX;Raptor R > Ford Raptor > Chevy Silverado ZR2 > Ram Rebel; F-150 Tremor > Silverado Trail Boss > Tundra TRD Pro > whatever else
Bringing 700hp comes at a cost when youre far away from home. Perhaps a bit more risk of driveline breakage and overheat… i dont think the rebel, silverado /zr2 tundra have a upstrength frame that the raptor and Trx have. Its literally shock valving and perhaps a rear locker and thats about it. Raptor seperates itself aby having the locker and the torsen, but also having 35” tire, and a legit suspension travel. Its the total package- Lex Luger.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree, that GX470 platform is so perfect for so many reasons. Size, reliability, aftermarket support, etc.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They included a F-150 Tremor in this test… what chance did that truck have against its own better in every way Raptor sibling?