2021 Raptor 98 Miles Blown Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see injectors failing due to ethanol if someone lived in a climate with ambient temperature swings of 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit, non top-tier gasoline and ran it consistently to E then the injectors could fail due to water build up at the bottom of the tank. The probability of this happening is unlikely.

I hope this turbo issue doesn't happen to me but I am going to be "preperared"

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see injectors failing due to ethanol if someone lived in a climate with ambient temperature swings of 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit, non top-tier gasoline and ran it consistently to E then the injectors could fail due to water build up at the bottom of the tank. The probability of this happening is unlikely.

I hope this turbo issue doesn't happen to me but I am going to be "preperared"
You could just pour some Seafoam or other fuel treatment in your tank to prevent / remove water...

I've never found water in my fuel tank on my 2008 Mustang running pump gas with up to 10% ethanol.

Even the guys running E85 don't have fuel issues nor water in the tank...

Now if you let any fuel sit for an extended period of time, you will find a little bit of water.

Vics2021

Reaction score
Also blew the right side turbo on the way home from the dealership with 170 total miles, almost made it home. It’s been over 2 weeks and they are still waiting on parts.
Truck has been at dealer waiting on a turbo for almost a month. Dealer called me today to let me know that the turbo came in and to check out the broken turbo. The turbo failure was due to a broken shaft. Considering the circumstances this was best case scenario, nice clean break. Now they are waiting on an O2 sensor due to all the oil that went through the exhaust. It’s been a long 6+ months waiting for this truck!

Vics2021

Reaction score
Update got truck back yesterday. This morning drove it 150 miles started hearing a whine. On the way back it got worse and suddenly it spewed out smoke and oil once again. At least this time we got almost 300 miles out of it. Total miles 540 miles. Waited over 6 months for it and blew up on the way home with 150 miles. Then it’s at the dealer getting the new turbo for 35 days, get it back have for 1 day and the same thing happens again. This is frustrating!

impactbumper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just pour some Seafoam or other fuel treatment in your tank to prevent / remove water...

I've never found water in my fuel tank on my 2008 Mustang running pump gas with up to 10% ethanol.

Even the guys running E85 don't have fuel issues nor water in the tank...

Now if you let any fuel sit for an extended period of time, you will find a little bit of water.
No you can’t. Sea foam and additives do not work well with direct injection motors. At all.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Update got truck back yesterday. This morning drove it 150 miles started hearing a whine. On the way back it got worse and suddenly it spewed out smoke and oil once again. At least this time we got almost 300 miles out of it. Total miles 540 miles. Waited over 6 months for it and blew up on the way home with 150 miles. Then it’s at the dealer getting the new turbo for 35 days, get it back have for 1 day and the same thing happens again. This is frustrating!
Yeah time for a new truck or my money back. That would be the end of the line for me.

Vics2021

Reaction score
Dealer confirmed same blown turbo. Looks like there is an oil supply or return issue causing turbo to fail. There is also metal shavings in engine so it will have to be replaced along with inter cooler, radiator, complete exhaust system, oil lines and some other parts. It’s going to be a long time before I get it back again.