2021 Raptor 98 Miles Blown Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

OSURaptor

Reaction score
Yes, communication sucked, but not gonna get bent out of shape over that.

Not trying to get into cam phaser debate, was just mentioning I pounded two of these engines non stop for 72k miles and that was the only issue I ever had, which in my opinion wasn't even really an issue other than an annoying sound.

Yes, I'm fully aware of supply chain and am honestly tired of hearing about it. It's just an excuse everyone uses for everything now. It's the new normal so just say out of stock or whatever.

My issue is this isn't a back ordered TV or appliance I ordered that was "out of stock" and knew I was gonna have to wait on. This isn't a Raptor I ordered on the first day, which I did, and have been waiting on, which is did, only to have it canceled becasue the dealer was just ordering over and above their allocations, and lied to my face. It took SVT months to finally "cancel" my order. Anyway, people that ordered Raptors knew there would be a wait so that is a moot point.

This was a near $100k fully loaded "super" truck, yes, I had to pay some ADM, that I bought, off the showroom floor, and got to drive for 40 miles over two days before it blew up. Sorry, but Ford needs to go to the very very back of the line, wherever that is, and delay some other Raptor or engine because they screwed up their quality control and sent out a bad vehicle. If I had even a thousand, or two thousand miles, I might be more understanding, but 98 miles!?!?!?!? I traded a '19 Raptor in for this and now I don't have anything.

I mean if they told me a week or whatever I could be fine, but I've been down this road before with a 2005 Lincoln LS and a broken throttle body back in 2009 during the recession. The supplier went out if business and it sat at the dealer for 3 months before I finally found a wrecked one and took the dealer a throttle body and said use this one.

Ain't no way I'm just gonna sit and be quiet and say "well, supply chain" while my brand new truck sits for an undetermined amount of time and I'm making payments, paying insurance, etc. I doubt they even have it covered, probably just sitting in the parking lot.

Anyway, just needed to vent and wondering if anyone had any better insight.

Are those parts Raptor specific, or do other eco boosts use them??

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, communication sucked, but not gonna get bent out of shape over that.

Not trying to get into cam phaser debate, was just mentioning I pounded two of these engines non stop for 72k miles and that was the only issue I ever had, which in my opinion wasn't even really an issue other than an annoying sound.

Yes, I'm fully aware of supply chain and am honestly tired of hearing about it. It's just an excuse everyone uses for everything now. It's the new normal so just say out of stock or whatever.

My issue is this isn't a back ordered TV or appliance I ordered that was "out of stock" and knew I was gonna have to wait on. This isn't a Raptor I ordered on the first day, which I did, and have been waiting on, which is did, only to have it canceled becasue the dealer was just ordering over and above their allocations, and lied to my face. It took SVT months to finally "cancel" my order. Anyway, people that ordered Raptors knew there would be a wait so that is a moot point.

This was a near $100k fully loaded "super" truck, yes, I had to pay some ADM, that I bought, off the showroom floor, and got to drive for 40 miles over two days before it blew up. Sorry, but Ford needs to go to the very very back of the line, wherever that is, and delay some other Raptor or engine because they screwed up their quality control and sent out a bad vehicle. If I had even a thousand, or two thousand miles, I might be more understanding, but 98 miles!?!?!?!? I traded a '19 Raptor in for this and now I don't have anything.

I mean if they told me a week or whatever I could be fine, but I've been down this road before with a 2005 Lincoln LS and a broken throttle body back in 2009 during the recession. The supplier went out if business and it sat at the dealer for 3 months before I finally found a wrecked one and took the dealer a throttle body and said use this one.

Ain't no way I'm just gonna sit and be quiet and say "well, supply chain" while my brand new truck sits for an undetermined amount of time and I'm making payments, paying insurance, etc. I doubt they even have it covered, probably just sitting in the parking lot.

Anyway, just needed to vent and wondering if anyone had any better insight.

I wasn’t saying that you do or do not have a right to be upset. I was trying to answer your question about the quality of the truck, specifically the engine and whether to be worried about it. Also it was to say don’t let things unrelated to the actual problem pile on to a decision you may or may not make.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it once it's fixed. These things happen.

However, I would be furious at the dealer and Ford for not bending over backwards to get your truck back on the road. They are making new trucks, they obviously have the parts. If their own bureaucratic process means there's there's no way for them to divert production parts to make up for a backlog on the service side - that's their ******* problem, not yours.

If they are unable to repair it within a limited amount of time (usually 30 days), you have a valid lemon law claim in TX. Tell the dealer you expect Ford to buy it back if they are unable to provide the parts within 30 days.

If they try to give you a loaner, insist on another Raptor or at least an F-150. If they give you a Focus or some ********, ask them "how am I going to haul 400 pounds of mulch in this thing"?

For trucks that are out of warranty or damaged in a collision - fine, not their problem, not much you can do if parts are unavailable and there's no benefit to being an "unreasonable" customer. But your brand-new truck breaks down in less than 3 hours? This is absolutely their problem, not yours and every day that it is sitting in their lot is unreasonable on their part.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, sorry this happened on the first drive off the lot, that really sucks balls, 2nd, quit saying SVT as that is for Gen 1's, it is now Ford Performance for Gen 2 and 3's, just to clarify. Your welcome. Typical dealership BS not being up front with you, seems like the norm these days. Ford doesn't even have spare headlights for these trucks and there have been a couple turbo failures, so not surprised the parts are on back order. Also, hope the motor is okay and they can get you back on the road soon.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

I know you’re ticked off, I would be and have been. Only had my Lincoln 2 weeks before the CEL. A new personal best, I’d never broken a car that fast before ;-). It was still driving but the code had a lot of “get serviced immediately” recommendations. ended up getting all new injectors and rails and moved on with life and the L continues to be trusty steed.

I see you have quite a bit of pre-delivery drama, you overpaid and more importantly got nothing for that overpayment, and then drew the short straw on a broken hard part.

This is a bad situation, for sure.

if there is ever a scenario that illustrates perfectly why you should NEVER pay over MSRP for a Raptor or any other vehicle, this is it. You can see from the write up they didn’t even feel compelled to lift their fingers a little faster and a little farther for the extra dough they took in.

It would be one thing if the stealership was offering Lincoln like valet service, pickup and drop off service and the like for the extra $$$$, but they’re not.

I agree with a previous poster, the ’21 & ’22 MY trucks are clocking in with an awful lot of turbo failures vs. the 2017. These trucks haven’t been on the road that long and we’ve already had several users posting up with hair dryer failures. I’m betting we see a part revision here pretty soon.

Nor should you, but you don’t have many options to effectively use. An ESP would guarantee you rental (the right ESP). This is not a new issue for Ford, the 2017-2020 trucks with broken hard parts were known to sit for significant periods of time. I’m sure it’s worse now but the issue has been around for a while.

Raptor turbos are model specific.
If they are unable to repair it within a limited amount of time (usually 30 days), you have a valid lemon law claim in TX. Tell the dealer you expect Ford to buy it back if they are unable to provide the parts within 30 days.

If they try to give you a loaner, insist on another Raptor or at least an F-150. If they give you a Focus or some ********, ask them "how am I going to haul 400 pounds of mulch in this thing"?
A few things on this.
A lemon law suit should be a last resort, it usually takes a long time to bring to closure and doesn’t resolve an immediate vehicle shortage. You would probably lose the ADM money altogether on lemon law or voluntary buy back.

I’ve prevailed in a LL suit, and gotten some hefty repairs taken care of under Ford ESP and aftermarket warranty. By far, Ford ESP was the easiest to deal with. You’re likely best riding this out.

Also, I’ve not read the TX statute, but lemon law ‘model’ code typically contains an “out” if you are provided a loaner car. That is, the “clock doesn’t run” on repairs or attempts to repair when you are provided a loaner. So if they do provide a loaner and you end up having to go that route, check the law first.
again, this should be the last course you take because these suits rarely make you whole again financially, but if you are stuck under a true lemon then it can be a way out.

I believe you can ask that they search other dealers inventory as well as their own to resolve a parts shortage issue. Open up a Ford Customer service issue on this so this doesn’t snowball into a several weeks/months issue.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nor should you, but you don’t have many options to effectively use. An ESP would guarantee you rental (the right ESP).
Has this changed since 2020? My warranty said that I got a loaner. If one wasn't available, Ford would pay for a rental. The dealer flat lied to me and hid this information. If you don't have a ride, go read your warranty. If that's no longer a thing, we'd all like to hear about it.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that an actual lemon law case is quite a hassle and not a complete solution - but given that all you need here is for Ford to grab less than $100 worth of parts from the production line, it's likely that you only need to threaten it in order to motivate them to action.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that an actual lemon law case is quite a hassle and not a complete solution - but given that all you need here is for Ford to grab less than $100 worth of parts from the production line, it's likely that you only need to threaten it in order to motivate them to action.
One danger is if the OP paid MSRP and Ford can resell it for ADM. Be careful what you wish for.

ironpeddler

Reaction score
There have been a few of the blown turbo threads lately. I wonder if it is a larger issue or just a few bad apples....