2021 Raptor 98 Miles Blown Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OSURaptor

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I don't think I've ever started a thread on the internet so here goes.

I purchased a 2021 Ford Raptor on a Friday Afternoon and Picked it up on Monday evening after they did recall, window tint, spray in bed liner and detail. Before this one I had a 2019 and before that a 2018, and drove both of those hard on and off road till approximately 36k miles each.

Wednesday evening I lost some engine power after accelerating farily hard on to the highway at approximately 75 mph. Engine light came on and I slowly drove to next exit and parked. I let it chill for 10 minutes and started it back up and noticed grey smoke and a rattle under the truck so I called roadside. It was Thursday until Ford Roadside 24/7 finally got it picked up.

Dealer told me Friday they were waiting to hear back from Ford for proper procedure and that it was an engine misfire on cylinders 1, 3 and 5? + a random misfire. I assume that was the rattling I heard.

Told me I should have my truck back late Monday if all went well.

Anyway, called Monday mid morning for update and Monday late afternoon and never heard back from anyone.

Started calling first thing Tuesday morning and wasn't hearing back from the service manager. Called sales rep and he said he would get right back to me, but never did. Started leaving voicemails for service and sales higher ups and then all of a sudden I get notifications my doors have been opened, hood opened (didn't know that was a thing), etc. So they hadn't even popped it open yet. Finally late yesterday they call me and tell me turbo shaft was loose and broke the turbo. Told me they would have a new turbo in 6 days, which seems ridiculous to me with overnight shipping and all that is available.

The kicker is the filter and gaskets are on back order with no ship date. I'm told it could be a couple weeks up to who knows how long.

Called service director this morning and he was nice and informative, but couldn't do anything.

I just got the parts list from service director before posting this:

We are currently waiting on 3 backordered parts. The following are the part numbers for those parts.

ML3Z*6L625*A OIL COOLER FILTER
ML3Z*5C226*A GASKET
W718353*S900. BOLT

Additional parts required for this repair are as follows.

ML3Z*6K682*B TURBOCHARGER ASSEMLBY
ML3Z*9G440*A TUBE ASSEMLBY
ML3Z*9T515*A TUBE ASSEMBLY
ML3Z*9450*A GASKET
W720722*S900 BOLT
FT4Z*6N652*H GASKET
W520514*S440 NUT

I bought the vehicle with I think 45 or so miles on it so barely got 50 miles on it before broke. Like I said this is my 3rd one and I've beat the others up pretty hard and never had an issue other than the cam phaser rattle so I'm pretty disappointed.

What would you do, what are my options, or am I just screwed? Dealer is acting like there is nothing they can do and gave me the Ford service number? I was thinking about calling SVT too. Dealer has (2) black and (1) white Raptors on lot, but mine is dark blue metallic, told myself I'd never own another black vehicle and don't like white so don't really want to trade if that is even an option.

Should I be concerned about this engine as a whole? Just bad luck, or bad build?

Also, does Ford really not have a single spare gasket, bolt and filter???? I would think they could pull those from somewhere. I can't imagine there being a lower mile Raptor out of service and would think taking care if this would be very important.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not surprising you have backordered parts with all the supply chain issues. Heck, there are folks still waiting on 2021 trucks to ship to them.
The 3.5 is a pretty good engine imo... no need to get into a cam phaser debate. QC issues will happen. My guess is they fix it and you have a good truck after that. If not, you can always trade it or lemon law it, if there are more frequent issues. Only time will tell.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To me you have three issues that are bothering you. Part on engine has an issue (turbo and sound slick it is getting fixed), waiting on parts ( a lot of people are dealing with that), and maybe some dealership communication issues.

Only one of those is related tot he engine on your truck. I wouldn’t sweat it. Get it fixed and enjoy.