2021 New Ford F150 Reveal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
The correct answer is whoever is the “wokest” is who the company will listen to :throw:

Looking at what gear you are selecting is a safety issue? Maybe for you it is. I always look at what gear I put vehicles in, every time- unless it's a manual of course.

You see what Ford is up against here. Someone like me thinks any shiftier on the console is stupid and a waste of space, given it's just HUGE electric switch- it doesn't actually shift a damn thing. Someone like you hates the push buttons that I think are the 100% ideal solution. Both of us want to buy a new Ford in the future, who do they listen to? They do a market study and get 50 people in a room. If 35 want a big manual shifter, we get a big manual shifter.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wrong on both counts. The IWEs are a completely different design and part number, along with the reservoir, lines, and solenoid.

Maybe you are right on that. AFAIK, the parts are the same still. Just because the part number changed doesn't mean it's not 100% backwards compatible. They may have changed something about the part, but it still fit the old trucks just fine. That's not a new part IMO.

The front axle housing on a 2020 is a completely different part number from a 2010. They didn’t just change the suffix, which indicates a revised or updated part. Everything from the casting to the axle housing tube to the axle stub shaft is different. 2010s used a stub shaft and flange to connect the driver’s side axle; on 2015+ models the axle installs directly into the differential.

Funny how a guy with a 2018 Raptor that blew it's front diff apart a month or so ago bolted a 2014 diff right in no problems...

Part numbers are one thing- but they don't tell the whole story. Just because the part number changed doesn't mean the parts aren't interchangeable.

Sometimes a new part number is fully backwards compatible, like when Ford attempted to change the cam phaser/supplier to make them more reliable. That was a new part number, but essentially the same part. Just better, right? It is "ALL NEW"? Semantics. Sometime it does actually mean it's all new, like when Ford finally gave up and changed the head casting to accommodate a revised cam phaser. That part is ALL NEW. You cannot use it in a 2017 engine without swapping heads.

No, you are making 100% baseless, generalized statements. What “seems to you” or what you want to believe is irrelevant, the facts are what matter.

I am making statements based upon actually working on the trucks in question in person. I've worked on 96-04 trucks, I've worked on 04-08 trucks, I've worked on 09-14 trucks, and I've worked on 15+ trucks. I know what is under there. It's all basically the same. Very little has changed from 2004 to 2020. You can argue part numbers all you want, but my POV is NOT baseless whatsoever.

What WAS a actual major change? Going from the 1996 to 1997 trucks. THAT was an all new design. Twin I beam gone. Torsion beams in. What was also a big change? The change from the 96-04 trucks to the 04+ trucks. Torsion gone, coil over in. New front suspension, 4WD engagement system, etc. Both of which are essentially STILL EXACTLY THE SAME. Sure, maybe the solenoid has nitrile seal inside it now and has a new part number. So what? It's still the same system!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe you are right on that. AFAIK, the parts are the same still. Just because the part number changed doesn't mean it's not 100% backwards compatible. They may have changed something about the part, but it still fit the old trucks just fine. That's not a new part IMO.

The parts are not the same nor are they backward compatible.

Funny how a guy with a 2018 Raptor that blew it's front diff apart a month or so ago bolted a 2014 diff right in no problems...

You said 2010, not 2014. Raptors used the same front axle housing in 2014 and 2018.

Part numbers are one thing- but they don't tell the whole story. Just because the part number changed doesn't mean the parts aren't interchangeable.

Sometimes a new part number is fully backwards compatible, like when Ford attempted to change the cam phaser/supplier to make them more reliable. That was a new part number, but essentially the same part. Just better, right? It is "ALL NEW"?

And it also doesn’t mean the parts are interchangeable. Throwing out assumptions that parts are backward compatible when you have no clue as to whether they actually are is unhelpful and irresponsible.

Semantics. Sometime it does actually mean it's all new, like when Ford finally gave up and changed the head casting to accommodate a revised cam phaser. That part is ALL NEW. You cannot use it in a 2017 engine without swapping heads.

I see you’re back to trolling Gen 2 trucks. The head revision had nothing to do with the phasers; I already explained this to you in another thread where you were spreading misinformation as usual. The revised cam phaser works with either head design, once again showing your ignorance and complete lack of understanding of the system.

I am making statements based upon actually working on the trucks in question in person. I've worked on 96-04 trucks, I've worked on 04-08 trucks, I've worked on 09-14 trucks, and I've worked on 15+ trucks. I know what is under there. It's all basically the same. Very little has changed from 2004 to 2020. You can argue part numbers all you want, but my POV is NOT baseless whatsoever.

Sure you have. And I’m sure you’ve measured every single part and rendered it in CAD to prove your theory that they’re “all the same” and “all backward compatible”. You sound like the kind of guy that walks into the parts store and says “I need brakes” and when they ask for your vehicle you tell them it doesn’t matter, they’re all the same. I mean, a brake pad is a brake pad right? Different part numbers? Irrelevant.

What WAS a actual major change? Going from the 1996 to 1997 trucks. THAT was an all new design. Twin I beam gone. Torsion beams in. What was also a big change? The change from the 96-04 trucks to the 04+ trucks. Torsion gone, coil over in. New front suspension, 4WD engagement system, etc. Both of which are essentially STILL EXACTLY THE SAME. Sure, maybe the solenoid has nitrile seal inside it now and has a new part number. So what? It's still the same system!

So by your theory all pickups are “EXACTLY THE SAME” because they all use a frame and coil over shocks. Amazing.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
282B1DAF-A502-46FF-8833-E4E1AAE5C51F.jpeg Funny how these threads always devolve into a ******’ contest every single time. Back in my day it was gen 1 vs the gen 2....now here comes gen 2.5 thinking she is all that. Remember back when this place was ELE...